🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

How can I control a large led strip?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How can I control a large led strip?

by otta98 on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:33 am

Hello, everyone.
I would need help understanding which Arduino (or another controller) I should use for my thesis project.
For this project I will use 28 WS2812B 8x32 LED arrays that will be divided into 4 strips, so each strip will contain a total of 1792 LEDs. What these LEDs will have to do is just loop some "news" as if they were headlines and stock market data, obviously all coordinated: Everything that it will be on the LED board will be preset, without any need for real update, but the text on the LED board will change approximately every two minutes, so I need to make a scrolling text and I need to use some special glyphs designed by myself.

Given these premises, which Arduino or any other "controller" (yes I'm desperate, I don't have so much time to chose the "controller" and programming it) should I use?

I searched in the forum but I have not found an exact answer to my questions (given that I have never used Arduino and therefore I do not understand so much).

Thank you very much.

otta98

Re: How can I control a large led strip?

by michaelmeissner on Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:59 pm

The Teensy 3.2/3.5/3.6 can handle this with the Octows2811 board. I don't believe the Octows2811 library has been ported to the Teensy 4.0 yet.

Alternatively you could get the 32x64 matrixes, such as:

I'm sure there are other ways, but these are what I'm aware of. Note, I haven't personally done either one.

michaelmeissner

Re: How can I control a large led strip?

by XRAD on Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:35 pm

might need 5 strips if you want to make scrolling 'apha numeric' display, otherwise hard to create certain letters/numbers....

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.