Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Documentation on neotrellis
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Documentation on neotrellis

by TheMason76 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:46 am

Hi there,

Is there any documentation on Neotrellis regarding to the command set of I2C? I want to use it WITHOUT arduino driver or circuitpython. I am using stm32 with cubemx and i haven't found any document on the raw i2c data which I have to send to this board to get LEDs on or checking keys. I started looking at the seesaw library code, but it's hard to get into it and I don't want to reconstruct the command set by digging into the libraries of there is any other way.

TheMason76

Re: Documentation on neotrellis

by yp66 on Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:55 pm

I second that request! Please provide some technical documentation on the i2c protocol to the device can be used outside the Arduino eco-system!

yp66

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:38 pm

See basic info here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-see ... w-platform
and combine that with the library source code:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Seesaw

adafruit_support_carter

by yp66 on Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks for the links. Things make a bit more sense, but it is rather tedious to trace everything in the libraries.

I have a single Neotrellis and a device (not arduino) that is i2c master; the only thing I want to do is set the rbg values of the 16 neopixel LEDs and poll for keystrokes (having the interrupt pin coming up on a keystroke would be a bonus). Is there a simple description of how to do that via the i2c protocol?

In particular, there is nothing in the seesaw documentation on reading the keystrokes, do I read them by using the GPIO base register, and if so, is there a keypad row/col matrix attached to the GPIO pins, and if so which pins?

For the NeePixels, things are a bit clearer, I can see that the following on the seesaw interface:
1) It requires two register bytes followed by data bytes.
2) The base register for NeoPixel is 0x0E
3) The function register can set the pin, speed, buffers and 'show'.

The following are unclear so any specific suggestions would be appreciated:
1) What is the mapping between PIN and each LED?
2) Since each neopixel needs 3 bytes, the 16 led grid would need 48 bytes so to control them, do I just use the BUF_LENGTH and BUF to write to a 48 byte memory array, using the first two bytes of BUF to address the specific location for each transfer?

Thank you so much for any light you can shed on this.

yp66

by maxwatts on Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Well, I'd like some documentation, too, even though I would like to use the Arduino IDE.

I bought the M4, loaded up the relevant libraries and board file, and looked around for some *proper* documentation. All I come across, time and again, are links to projects that use Circuit Python, which I'm not the slightest bit interested in.

The notion that I'm going to trawl through the .h and .cpp files like some sort of coding Sherlock Holmes is absurd, even though I'm capable.

I have *many* years coding experience. I started out coding complete arcade games in 6502 machine code (no, not assembly language) and 68000 assembler. I moved on to the structured languages, yah de yah de ya da, so I'm no greenhorn.

But I can't spend [n] hours of my life hunting around for something that might not exist. Where is the list of Arduino classes, functions, input parameters, return codes, etc., etc., giving the user exactly what they need? Again, anybody that tells me to 'go look in the library' can F.R.O. and tell me why THEIR time is money but mine is not.

I'm used to *comprehensive* documentation, and/or well commented code examples that make for an easy learning curve. As I write this, I've spent TWO hours searching for ANY information regarding storing wav files on the device and what must be a trivial piece of code to play them. Have I had any luck? Have I the f***(!) and I'm not going to get that time back.

Even a search on here, for 'Neotrellis M4 documentation' immediately reveals the ineptitude of the web programmers when it comes to a search facility, picking out docs that contain 'Neotrellis' and 'M4' and 'documentation' seperately, giving a false impression of the number of posts that are relevant. This post here is the closest I could find that conforms to my requirements, and even then there's an admin simply providing links to articles that are trivial and totally insufficient.

I don't need to use a 'block based' GUI for *anything* because a) I'm not a 12-year-old, and b) Bloatware that has expanded to fill the space allowed to it, for lighting a f****** LED, is madness!

Any flavour of Python is totally wack, but it's aimed at STEM students who don't shave yet, and munchkin wannabe 'coders' who are the script kiddies of the microcontroller world, and who are content to follow some poorly written 'guide' and copy and paste the code. However, they comprise a huuge market, so "F*** the dinosaur low level coders that are the foundation of everything that's here today. After all, if they're that clever, they can go figure s**t out for themselves..." That's the attitude.

Adafruit as a company employ smart people, of that there is no doubt, but it appears that they just won't devote any resources to outputting anything resembling proper documentation, as it eats into their margins, just like the tech giants won't even employ a monkey to answer emails, because of the cost implications.

Adafruit have a blatant policy of buying in a $0.50 sensor chip, or a super cheap ESP8266 (or whatever) from the Far East, from a company that have invested serious sums of money in R&D and manufacturing, and leeching off the back of that company's expertise and investment, by flow soldering it on to $0.01 worth of PCB and marking it up by several thousand percent. Now THAT'S added value, and nice work if you can get it.

They have the same "GET THE MONEY!" attitude when it comes to docs (and writing decent, COMMENTED code). If it takes time, then it can go to the back of the list, behind the SALES promotion videos.

This is not an electronics company, it's the proverbial 'brand'.

Rant over. I apologise if this has not been 'positive' but I can assure you it's constructive, even though the Adafruit team might object to being told to stop riding skateboards and drinking chai latte, and to spend a *little* more time providing COMPREHENSIVE docs for 'their' products or, if they exist, making them slightly easier to find than the Arc of The Covenant...

Ok then... Before I'm 'cancelled' for mouthing the unpalatable truth, where's the PROPER documentation for the Neotrellis M4 ?

maxwatts

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:01 am

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.