Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit joins the Stop Hate for Profit campaign.

Only first 12 Pixels lighting
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Only first 12 Pixels lighting

by TurboBry77 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Hello all,

Been a long time since I've been here, recently decided to break out my firewalkers and found that most of my LED's were toast.

So I got out some digital strip (I have tons), problem is, I am not sure which one it is. I am fairly certain it is WS2811 or WS2812 so was thinking that the standard NeoPixel library should work.

Hmmm, not the case. I am running just the basic strand test and only the first 12 pixels light. I have plenty of power using a lithium 5V from Ada, and am also using the AdaFruit Flora.

Am I just missing a configuration somewhere? I adjusted the number of pixels to 20 which is what I have, and still no dice. I was trying to get them ready to wear to a Christmas party, programmed some great holiday colors which work great, just only lighting the first 12?

Any help is much appreciated. I think they will be a hit at the party, along with my other AdaFruit wearables!

Thank you!

TurboBry77

Re: Only first 12 Pixels lighting

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:54 am

Are the 12 that light up displaying the expected pattern? If so, they are most likely Neopixel equivalents.

It is possible that there is a damaged pixel or trace after the 12th pixel that is preventing the signal from propagating to pixels downstream from there.

adafruit_support_bill

by TurboBry77 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:19 am

Thank you, the first 12 pixels do behave as they should. I tried taking a jumper and jumping from one data pad on the strip to the next and didn’t get anything. I have a bunch of this type of strip so I will try another roll and see if they behave the same.

I was just thinking that it may be something with the addressing?

TurboBry77

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:32 am

The addressing is totally up to your code. If you are using the standard firewalker code and have your strip defined with more than 12 pixels, then it is not an addressing problem.

adafruit_support_bill

by TurboBry77 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:21 am

Ok thanks. I was using the firewalker code and then also switched to just the "StrandTest" and defined 30 pixels. Interesting, I'll open up another pack of that same strip or try to connect after the 12/13th pixel and see what happens.

TurboBry77

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.