1.54" OLED questions

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
avvy69

1.54" OLED questions

Post by avvy69 »

I bought this:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2720

on the basis that the i2c address can easily be changed if needed to.
On receipt of the item / kit, there is a capacitor and a 16 pin IC chip included.

First, where on the back of the OLED is the i2c address changed.
Second, can the display be used without either of the capacitor and IC chip.
And lastly, why are there no pinout markings on the board as there are with other Adafruit OLEDs.

dastels

Re: 1.54" OLED questions

Post by dastels »

The cap is included
as we noticed an Arduino may need a little more capacitance on the 3.3V power supply for this big display
The chip is a level shifter for use with a 5v board like the Arduino UNO. If you're using a 3.3v board, you don't need it.

Read the related guide if you haven't: https://learn.adafruit.com/1-5-and-2-4- ... ay-module/

Also from the guide:
Connect Pin #4 (DC & I2C Addr0) to ground (black wire) to set the I2C address to 0x3C. If this is tied to 3.3V, it will set the I2C address to 0x3D
Finally, as for the lack of markings, this is board is not made by Adafruit, and simply isn't labeled. The guide has all the information on what the connections are.

Dave

avvy69

Post by avvy69 »

Thank you for the clarification.

I will be using the OLED display with a Pi zero on a 3.3v pin, so I won't need the IC, but the i2c address will be 0x3D. So then connect Pin#4 DC, data/command pin, to ground and that should put the i2c address to 0x3C.

Does that sound right.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Correct, you will not need to use the level shifter chip. Put it in your parts cabinet... they can be very handy.

Also correct, connecting DC to ground will put the board at address 0x3C.

Sounds like you're all set.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”