Is there documentation for dotstar 8x8 matrix(3444)?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is there documentation for dotstar 8x8 matrix(3444)?

by zencuke2 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:23 pm

I can only find the product page and the generic dotstar learn doc for this part. Most Adafruit boards have their own page which includes links to schematics, board layout and the fritzing part. I can't find any of these for this part. 3444 doesn't seem to be in the adafruit fritzing library. I don't see it in the fritzing app parts bin. I installed the current AdaFruit.fzbz even though it is two years old in github. That doesn't sound right. Is it supposed to be there? I thought this file (adafruit. had all adadruit parts except the PI and feather parts which are in their own files. It is also not in https://github.com/adafruit/Fritzing-Library/tree/master/parts although the dotstar feather wing is. I love this tiny high density maxrix for jewlery but they are hard to use in any but the most basic ways without the normal documentation. This is a two year old product. Did someone forget to finish the documentation? Do these part related documents even exist on the website?

zencuke2

Re: Is there documentation for dotstar 8x8 matrix(3444)?

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:42 pm

All DotStars are essentially the same thing - just a chain with the same input pins. So that's why the product page just links to the main DotStar Learn Guide. Just wire like any others and set number of pixels to 64.

And it's possible a Fritzing part has not been generated yet.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Is there documentation for dotstar 8x8 matrix(3444)?

by zencuke2 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:00 am

That is almost true. I can figure out the order of pixels by writing to them and see which turn on when, and I can guess that the extra gnd and +5V tabs in the center of the board are wired to other soldering tabs with the same name on the edges, probably provided as a convenience to wire directly to an independent LED power source, or maybe a place to wire the cap, and I can figure out the precise location of the LEDs and dimensions of the board with a ruler. So who needs documentation? Sigh... What triggered the question was trying to use Fritzing and that is the one file it is hard to do without. I guess I won't fritz the design.

I did find the schematic and board files: https://github.com/adafruit/DotStar-2020-8x8-Matrix-PCB

zencuke2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.