Adafruit is open, safely ... and shipping all orders at this time! Read more!

NeoPixel Diffused 5mm Through-Hole LED & Raspberry Pi 3
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoPixel Diffused 5mm Through-Hole LED & Raspberry Pi 3

by Mallock on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm trying to drive the NeoPixel Diffused 5mm Through-Hole LEDs with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with no luck so far. No matter what I try I just get the default blue from the LEDs. I've tried multiple python libraries, including Adafruit's library, and I've tried multiple tutorials - all with no luck. Right now I'm just prototyping on a breadboard with a single LED, but the setup is just the Pi (pin 18) into a 74AHCT125 quad-level shifter, then into a single neopixel LED. All powered by a 5V/10A power supply. I've tried multiple LEDs just to make sure the first one wasn't faulty; I've also wiped the OS several times when trying new libraries to make sure that one wasn't screwing up another. No matter what though, nothing let's me change from that default blue color.

There's multiple articles and tutorials out there that talk about troubles w/ neopixels and the Pi 3, but they're all from several years ago so I don't know if that stuff has been fixed or if it's still a problem. Anyone know if the Pi 3 is just incompatible or is there something else going on here?

Mallock

Re: NeoPixel Diffused 5mm Through-Hole LED & Raspberry Pi 3

by bcochran1 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi!

I use the 8mm diffused through-hole LEDs (product id 1734) in a successful project that is driven by an old Adafruit Trinket 5v. I don't think the NeoPixel line as a whole will work with Broadcom cores -- which are what drives the Raspberry Pi line.

I seem to remember the Raspberry Pi Foundation has user forums -- perhaps you can try posting questions to those. However a quick check of the product description for an Adafruit Neopixel shows the Pixels are really intended for AVR cores only.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.