COB LED Panel Light 70W
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

COB LED Panel Light 70W

by sellhammer on Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 pm

Crazy question here

I ride an EUC to work everyday in Downtown Chicago. I have been hit too many times by cars merging into the bike lane i am in. I have done everything from whistles to air horns and even police strobes on my helmet. The one thing that seems to work the best is a huge white light. I have been curious about using one of these LED panels but can they be operated by battery power and if so do i need a controller? Total newb here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sellhammer

Re: COB LED Panel Light 70W

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 pm

If you mean one of the 12v models, yes it can be powered by battery. You don't need any special controller. Just a 12v battery pack capable of supplying at least 5.8A for for the duration of your required run-time. To determine the required battery capacity, multiply the number of Amps times the number of hours to get Amp-hours. (Ah). For example: to run a panel at 5.8A for 2 hours would require a 11.6Ah battery pack.

Actual battery capacity may vary from the rated capacity based on drain rate and temperature. And usable cell capacity will decline over time, so it is best to design in a bit of a safety factor so you aren't left in the dark before you reach your destination.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.