NeoPixel Strip Matrix, Animation with NeoSprite
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoPixel Strip Matrix, Animation with NeoSprite

by cuppaCoffee on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi, I am writing to the forum to promote Aaron Averill's NeoSprite library. It was very useful for me, a novice, to quickly produce animation for a homemade NeoPixel strip matrix. Please see: https://youtu.be/KBtatQ6hKQU

NeoSprite code found at: https://github.com/aaronaverill/CircuitPython_NeoSprite

It is written for CircuitPython. The examples come with button press code to switch between animations, as demoed in my movie. You can also switch button state to true to play a folder of animations end to end as if it were one long movie. For my 21 x 8 pixel matrix, powered by the Feather M4 Express ATSAMD51, I was able to make animations 180 frames long or more, 8 bit, but also could play a folder of animation as if it were a longer movie.

Image Processing:

To use the code does require some graphic manipulation. Minimally the individual frames to be assembled as a single image, to be read from top to bottom.

Depending on the wiring of the matrix, you may need to manipulate your frames further, or employ some code to describe the orientation and wiring of your matrix. I, being a total programming newb, but comfortable with graphic manipulation, chose to mess with the images.

I suggest you test with a simple image. I divided screen in 4 with 4 colors, to see what would happen. My matrix is wired zig-zag, with pixel zero at bottom right. I manipulated a single frame in Photoshop until it looked right.

So after compiling my frames into a single image, I had to select every other line of pixels and flip them horizontally. Then because my matrix has an odd number of columns, I had to select every other frame and flip that. Then flipping all the pixels horizontally - oriented the image correctly. If I didn't have this process totally automated in a few graphics programs I would have given up early: Adobe After Effects, Adobe Bridge, GraphicsGale, Adobe Photoshop.

Hardware:
Feather M4 Express ATSAMD51 Cortex M4
5V 4A switching power supply
74AHCT125 - Quad Level-Shifter (3V to 5V)
NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - Black 60 LED
Tactile Switch Button

hope this helps somebody, -Bob
Attachments
4_Photoshop.jpg
4_Photoshop.jpg (404.06 KiB) Viewed 208 times

cuppaCoffee

Re: NeoPixel Strip Matrix, Animation with NeoSprite

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 am

Hmm.. looks like good stuff. Thanks for letting us know about it!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: NeoPixel Strip Matrix, Animation with NeoSprite

by adafruit2 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:07 pm

nice work, i'll add an issue asking if you'd like to add it to our community bundle :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.