Completed Christmas Tree Topper
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Completed Christmas Tree Topper

by Colecago on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:47 am

I've completed my Christmas Tree Topper using DotStar and an ESP32. It was not without its troubles as I fried some LEDs in my reflow oven thank you Adafruit_Mike for troubleshooting, but it is done. It is 31 APA102 LEDs in a 3D printed shell. It is driven with an ESP32, I have a website set up on my NAS I can go to to change the animations and the settings. Pretty rudimentary use of the ESP32 for sure, but it was my first go at it. More details, pictures, and code here: http://blog.colecago.com/?p=807[
Colecago

Re: Completed Christmas Tree Topper

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:48 am

Nice! Thanks for posting the follow-up.

adafruit_support_mike

by bcochran1 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi,

I looked at your blog, which is quite interesting. It could use some closeup photos of your star arrangement. I rather like your Christmas tree topper. The article also led me to watch the YouTube video on converting a toaster oven into a reflow station. It looks like the fellow in the video sat the toaster oven on a plywood base and fired it up to do a test PCB. Perhaps my eyes were playing tricks and he really used a well insulated and fireproof base? Putting a toaster oven on a plywood base seems an engraved invitation to a really serious fire.

Anyhow, congratulations on your tree topper. It looks great.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

by Colecago on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Thank you for your interest and questions Bob. I'll get some pictures when I get home and either add them to the blog or post them here and let you know, but basically I wired 4 wires in and 4 wires out on each LED board, I used a 2mm header to go board to board when I could and then ribbon cable to get back to the center.

As for the reflow oven, that was not me, it was my friend, but I built the oven and did the code and he used it in his episode. The oven has feet to keep it off the surface, and when used properly it runs around 460F which is similar to what it probably did as a real toaster oven. If it's monitored I'm not too worried, I'm more worried about thermal runaway when not monitored. I have a note on the side that it must be monitored and unplugged when not in use, but I agree that it is a dangerous piece of equipment and the safest thing would to be to run on a fire safe surface. I've run it about 10 times so far, sometimes twice in a row without issue, and I'm not sure how much my friend used it before returning it to me.
Colecago

by Colecago on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 pm

Bob I've added some better pictures in the blog of the front and back half and a closer up with the wiring as well as a detailed explanation of the wiring. Also all the pictures now have "click to see larger" so you can see close up. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
Colecago

by bcochran1 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Colecago wrote:Bob I've added some better pictures in the blog of the front and back half and a closer up with the wiring as well as a detailed explanation of the wiring. Also all the pictures now have "click to see larger" so you can see close up. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Hi!

Thank you so much for this. I posted a comment on your blog asking if there are Eagle files for the PCBs. I would probably like to have a PCB vendor make me some PCBs. I'll try to do this project for Christmas 2020. It should be quite fun!

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

by Colecago on Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am

I've responded on the blog. I need to test my latest design where I fiddled with the copper when I was adding my missing bottom silkscreen. I'll post a link on there when I'm done, expect it by the end of the weekend.
Colecago

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.