Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

RA8875 Driver Board, LCD for outdoor usage?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RA8875 Driver Board, LCD for outdoor usage?

by Calpulz on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 am

Hi,

So I recently purchased a Adafruit RA8875 Driver Board with the recommended 5" TFT 40pin LCD with Resistive Touch, 800x400. I will be driving using my teensy 4.0.

I am planning on using this for my E-Bike control screen and interface the teensy with my BMS as well as the ebike controller to control pedal assist, motor power and display speed and other information.

It didn't occur to me at the time when I ordered but I am going to need a brighter display as the datasheet says the panel is 200 nits brightness which I will struggle to see in direct sunlight when out on the road.

Can anyone recommend or know of what type of panels this driver can work with. Am I right in saying that as long as it uses the 40pin interface I can use any panel? Ideally a panel that can put out 700+ nits would be great.

Thanks!

Calpulz

Re: RA8875 Driver Board, LCD for outdoor usage?

by Pogcarr on Sat May 02, 2020 3:27 pm

As I understand it, yes, and of the 40-pin LCDs would work. 700+nits is just a measure of the backlight. You may need a separate driver circuit to provide that amount of power to the LCD display, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out. As for a bight display, definitely look into TFT LCDs as they are reflective behind the LCD so the bright sunlight is reflected back and "adds" to the backlight.
You might also consider an ePaper option as these are very readable in daylight, but then I don't thing the RA8875 will do the trick. Cheers!

Pogcarr

by tsingi on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:18 pm

Looking for a screen with a similar application, motorcycle. 1000 nits resistive would be good.

Did you have any luck finding a solution for your e-bike application?

tsingi

by Calpulz on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

tsingi wrote:Looking for a screen with a similar application, motorcycle. 1000 nits resistive would be good.

Did you have any luck finding a solution for your e-bike application?

Yeah I managed to find a panel that was compatible on alibaba.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/607634938 ... hare%22%7D

This is the one I got. Not sure its quite 1000nits as it states but it is very bright and readable in sunlight from my tests. Still building my ebike at the moment so haven't tested it in real world usage but I have high hopes.

Image below of it but picture doesn't really do it justice

https://ibb.co/zr74B06

Calpulz

by tsingi on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Is it just me or is heir website a mess?
Not overly expensive and a reasonable form factor, I'll order one.
Cheers!

tsingi

by tsingi on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Ahh, that was the mobile link. Much better now!

tsingi

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.