Dead on Arrival: Flora RGB Smart NeoPixels v2

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cheerful_Camper

Dead on Arrival: Flora RGB Smart NeoPixels v2

Post by Cheerful_Camper »

Hello,

I was directed to this page by emailing [email protected].
My order number is 2291937-4788573634.

I ordered several components on 05/09/2020. One of which was a sheet of 20 of the Flora RGB Smart NeoPixel v2. I received the package last Tuesday 05/19/2020 and finally got around to experimenting with the NeoPixels this Monday 05/25/2020. The first RGB NeoPixel I punched out of the sheet worked as expected. I've attached a picture of how I had it wired up with the Gemma M0.
I hadn't really gotten around to messing with anything other then powering them on. Because I tried connecting a secondary LED in parallel with the first, but it didn't turn on. While the first LED continued to function as intended. At this point I decided to just hook up the second led by itself. It wouldn't turn on at all.
Not sure if I had maybe accidently done something to the second LED, I proceeded to test each individual LED in the sheet without punching them out. Wiring them up in the same manner as I had the first (Although this time using probes instead of alligator clips). By the end of going through all 20 NeoPixels I found that only 1 of the 20 could power on.

Here are the photos of the back and front of the RGB NeoPixel sheet. The NeoPixel that is off to the side in both pictures is the only working NeoPixel.
ImageImage

Here is a close up of the backs.

I'm thinking that 19 of the RGB NeoPixels came broken, but if you have any other ideas I'm willing to try them.

If there is anything else I can provide to fix this issue please let me know.

Thank you

Cheerful_Camper

Re: Dead on Arrival: Flora RGB Smart NeoPixels v2

Post by Cheerful_Camper »

Just in-case it isn't clear in the photos. I have the Gemma M0's 'Vout' connected to the NeoPixel's '+' (red wire). Then the Gemma M0's 'GND' connected to the NeoPixel's '-' (black).

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Dead on Arrival: Flora RGB Smart NeoPixels v2

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”