Product 2719 2.4" SSD1305 no display with example code

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shutterbug851

Product 2719 2.4" SSD1305 no display with example code

Post by shutterbug851 »

Scratching my head. I have checked and rechecked the wiring. I have 2 display modules so I tried them both and then tried a different arduino. So it has to be something my stupid self is overlooking. The solder joints have been checkd as per a suggestion in another thread. Basically I upload the code and the screen stays dark and blank. In the picture, I was using an arduino in which pin 10 was no longer functional so I switched the code to reflect moving to pin 7. I did not see #define SSD1305_128_64 so I added it. I tried using software SPI line in the code instead. I double checked the 0 ohm resistors were on the right pads and did a continuity check as well. Any ideas on what I am missing?
IMG_20200630_143813.jpg
IMG_20200630_143813.jpg (944.31 KiB) Viewed 62 times

mikeysklar

Re: Product 2719 2.4" SSD1305 no display with example code

Post by mikeysklar »

Where does your GND connect into the breadboard? I see that you have a black wire coming out of the UNO, but I cannot see it on the breadboard.

Do you have a 220uF capacitor you can add to this setup. It is highly recommended from the guide I found.

https://learn.adafruit.com/1-5-and-2-4- ... g-and-test
Connect Pin #1 to common power/data ground line (black wires)
Connect Pin #2 to the 3V power supply on your Arduino. (red wires)
Skip pin #3
Connect Pin #4 (DC) to digital #8 via the level shifter (white wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #7 (SCLK) to digital #13 via the level shifter (blue wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #8 (DIN) to digital #11 via the level shifter (green wires) any pin can be used later
Skip pins #9-14
Connect Pin #15 (CS) to digital #10 via the level shifter (yellow wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #16 (RST) to digital #9 via the level shifter (orange wires) any pin can be used later
Later on, once we get it working, we can adjust the library to use hardware SPI if you desire, or change the pins to any others.
Level Shifter Wiring
You will also want to power the HC4050 level shifter by connecting pin #1 to 3V (the red wire) and pin #8 to ground (the black wire)
3.3V Capacitor
We also include a 220uF capacitor with your order because we noticed that the 3V line can fluctuate a lot when powered via an Arduino's 3.3V regulator. We really recommend installing it. Clip the leads on this capacitor and connect the negatve pin to GND and the positive pin to 3

shutterbug851

Post by shutterbug851 »

I have ground and power plugged in out of the picture frame going to ground and 3.3 of the arduino. I have the cap that came with the kit sitting across them.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the confirmation of the wiring outside the photo frame.

I think you did a fine job on the breadboard, but your wiring is basically matched the guide photo and not to the SPI configuration.

You will need to use these pins for SPI:

Connect Pin #1 to common power/data ground line (black wires)
Connect Pin #2 to the 3V power supply on your Arduino. (red wires)
Skip pin #3
Connect Pin #4 (DC) to digital #8 via the level shifter (white wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #7 (SCLK) to digital #13 via the level shifter (blue wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #8 (DIN) to digital #11 via the level shifter (green wires) any pin can be used later
Skip pins #9-14
Connect Pin #15 (CS) to digital #10 via the level shifter (yellow wires) any pin can be used later
Connect Pin #16 (RST) to digital #9 via the level shifter (orange wires) any pin can be used later

shutterbug851

Post by shutterbug851 »

I guess that is where my disconnect is. Those wires go to those pins via the level shifter (except as noted on the spare arduino that the picture was taken from but the primary (good) arduino did use pin 10). What is different from the picture vs what is written out?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm sorry you are correct about the numbers. It would seem that this spare arduino is not fully functional. I understand the pin 7 vs 10 swap you are doing.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”