Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Neopixels turn off once I add more than 40 pixels
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixels turn off once I add more than 40 pixels

by modreb on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Hello!
To start off -- I am a complete newbie, so please be patient with me. I just started working with Neopixels and LEDs in general. I'm working on a cosplay prop and I've run into a frustrating issue. I'm using the W2812B lights. I tested the strip with my code and Trinket Pro 5v and everything worked well on the spool of 5 meters. So I'm testing 300 LEDs on the spool with my power bank output of 3.2v. Power is not the issue. I put around 220 LEDs on one part of the cosplay and tested it. Everything looked great, so beautiful. I unplugged it and went to work on another part. I soldered together about 60 LEDs on the second part and went to test it. Nothing turns on. The Trinket Pro's light came on normally, so I knew that was working. I unplugged it and unsoldered a couple of strips and retested that portion of my prop. It lit up perfectly with about 40 LEDs. Is there something I'm doing that's affecting the LEDs and how the power is distributed? I just can't get it through my head why 220 LEDs would work on one portion, but 50 separate LEDs wouldn't work on a completely different section.
I checked all of my soldered connections and they aren't cold connections and everything is properly connected to their relative polarities.
Thank you for all your help!

modreb

Re: Neopixels turn off once I add more than 40 pixels

by dastels on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Can you post photos of your wiring/connections and code?

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.