Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Teensy 3.2 Not Powering on or Blinking
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Teensy 3.2 Not Powering on or Blinking

by Kevhernandez on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi guys, I have been trying to follow the guide for the Supernova Pixel Poi that uses the teensy 3.2. I have succesfully gotten one of the Poi to work, but Ive had trouble with a few of the teensy 3.2 malfunctioning. When I recieved the first one and plugged it in through USB it would Blink and my computer recognized it and I was able to program it with Teensyduino, but with the next few the chip would blink at first and then the chip would die once I connected the Pro-trinket lipo battery backpack. So I just reordered and tried to do it again with a brand new teensy 3.2 chip i recieved on invoice 2334829, but that one is not recognized via usb and the light on the board doesnt blink. is it fixable? can I get it replaced? what could be causing the issue? My soldering is clean and there is no bridges.
Attachments
IMG_3480.jpg
At this moment I have only soldered the wires from the LED strip to the Points on the Teensy 3.2, but not recognized via USB
IMG_3480.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 51 times
IMG_3479.jpg
Wires soldered to underside of chip
IMG_3479.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 51 times
IMG_3478.jpg
plugged into my laptop via usb but no light on teensy 3.2
IMG_3478.jpg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 51 times

Kevhernandez

Re: Teensy 3.2 Not Powering on or Blinking

by chemdoc77 on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:57 am

Hi Kevhernandez:

Have you checked out the Teensy Troubleshooting Common Problems webpage at:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Especially look at “Brand New Teensy Not Recognized” part lower in the webpage which I have had to use once on a new Teensy 3.2.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

chemdoc77

by XRAD on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:24 pm

why are you using the 3.3v for teensy power instead of the Vbat or Vin?

XRAD

by Kevhernandez on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:24 am

@ChemDoc77 I have reviewed the troubleshooting guide on the PJRC page and it appears that my Teensy is dead but I have no idea why or how it happened. The board does not seem to be receiving power since the LED on the board doesnt light up but I havent energized the teensy yet, so I dont believe it was ruined during a high voltage spike. All I have done is soldered the wires as the guide for the Adafruit Supernova Poi, but when I try to plug it in I get no response. I have succesfully followed the tutorial and created One Poi (Cant get the IR Remote portion to work yet) but as I try to make the second poi I keep having trouble with the teensys. Is there a certain temperature my soldering Iron should be set to?

@XRAD I am simply following the instructions from this guide https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/download ... va-poi.pdf

Kevhernandez

by XRAD on Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 am

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_po ... al%20power.

the 3.3v 250mA (max 500mA) is a regulated power output from the teensy. input voltage up to 10v on Vin.

according to your linked tutorial, the Teensy is powered at Vin pin......which is not connected to anything on your board. Are the red wires on the 3.3v out going to the LEDs? or power? or Both?

can't tell everything that you wired up to in your pic...

also, one solder trace looks like it has a small bridge possible touching POS and GND, red and black wires

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.