Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

1.3" TFT 4506 doesn't light up
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

1.3" TFT 4506 doesn't light up

by GandyMethod on Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 am

Just got one of these little screens. The kernel instructions say that it should be lit, but nothing on the screen when it's attached to the pi and powered up. I'm see no backlight or anything from the screen. I've tried with a Pi Zero W as well as a Pi 3B.
I don't see any damage and the ribbon appears to be seated all the way.

GandyMethod

Re: 1.3" TFT 4506 doesn't light up

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:27 pm

What OS image are you starting with?

What options did you select when running the install script?

adafruit_support_carter

by GandyMethod on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:40 pm

What what do you know, I tried it again and... walla I get the console on the screen!
My first attempt was over SSH to the RPI Zero W and I got nothing. Then when I tried with the RPI 3B I got to the line saying that the screen should be "lit" and figured I had a defective unit.

Steps:

Download latest Raspberry Pi OS image (the full one) from the RPI website - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-os/
Flash to SD card with Etcher
Boot RPI with monitor, keyboard, mouse.
Follow instructions at this link - https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-1-3 ... le-install
Update, Update, Upgrade then power off
Install the bonnet
** Now, this is where I see a problem **
"Attach power to the Pi and re-log in. The PiTFT should be lit but nothing on the screen."
** I don't see anything "lit" about the screen. No backlight or anything. **

I suggest that this line should be edited as the "lit" part was essentially a red herring.

GandyMethod

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:03 pm

OK, glad it's working.

I think that phrasing is incorrect for that specific product. It probably snuck in from some other guide page. We'll take a look and update it.

Not having the backlight on at that point is the expected behavior for that product. The backlight won't come on until the driver is installed, which happens in the following steps.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.