Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

UV NeoPixel Ring
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

UV NeoPixel Ring

by skazal on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:50 pm

Didn't you carry a UV NeoPixel ring at one time?

skazal

Re: UV NeoPixel Ring

by mikeysklar on Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi skazal,

I actually don't recall us selling a UV NeoPixel ring. We do have NeoPixel projects where people buitl a VU meter to show audio levels.

We do sell a NeoPixel strip that is UV and have projects around that.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3851

I've had okay experiences cranking up the red and blue levels on non-UV NeoPixel rings and getting a functional UV.

mikeysklar

Re: UV NeoPixel Ring

by westfw on Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 am

I've had okay experiences cranking up the red and blue levels on non-UV NeoPixel rings and getting a functional UV.

The red is probably irrelevant. Blue will cause many pigments to fluoresce just fine. Of course, the blue itself is pretty bright and visible, we detracts from the "magic" of black-light fluorescence where you can't see the "ambient" illumination. And the purple "looks" more UV-like.

Many of the LEDs sold as UV are closer to just "violet" (you probably need wavelengths shorter than 385nm to get "not very visible." Traditional "Wood's Glass" "Black light" fluorescent tubes usually peak at about 365nm, while many UV Leds are 400-410nm.) Unfortunately, shorter-wavelength LEDs rapidly become more expensive and less efficient. I'm not even sure that the fluorescent black light bulbs one can get these days are actually that good at filtering out visible wavelengths. ("Wood's glass" is apparently problematic. And expensive.)

westfw

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.