64x32 LED matrix issue

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikeysklar

Re: 64x32 LED matrix issue

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the feedback.

What was your date of purchase for this display?

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

Ordered on August 6th of this year.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, that is well within our replacement. Since the soldering on the matrix shield is your own on a passive device let's just focus on getting you a replacement display.

Please send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a replacement 64x32 display. Include a link to our thread in the forums here and your order number.

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

Well... The replacement board arrived, but I'm seeing the same issue. So first question is how do I go about paying Adafruit for the replacement since clearly the first board was fine and there's *some* issue with the way I built the shield. Second question is am I best off just ordering a second shield and trying again or is there some way I can try to narrow down the issue on the one I have, because I've gone over every solder point multiple times now and can't seem to find anything that doesn't seem correct.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Let's get you up and running and then move on to what to do with extra components.

I think the best option is what you suggested. Order a fresh shield and start again. Stick with it. It will all come together. I know you are being careful and following the instructions.

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

Ok sounds good, I just placed an order for a new shield and will post back once it arrives and I have a chance to assemble it. Really appreciate the help here, this is one of my first projects that involves soldering and definitely a steep learning curve.

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

New shield arrived and I had time to solder it up today. Still seeing the exact same problem as before, although this time it seemed slightly more clear. It seems to be drawing nearly all text on the first and third lines, which have the text from the second and fourth lines overlapping on them, but with the same garbled text sometimes jumping to the second and fourth lines as well. picture attached, let me know if a video would be helpful as well. Not really sure what's left to troubleshoot at this point since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the arduino itself.
Attachments
IMG_0007.JPEG
IMG_0007.JPEG (604.58 KiB) Viewed 43 times

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

Wow, actually the problem is that I made a stupid mistake and used the wrong board in the arduino IDE (was using Metro M4 rather than the airlift version) which I'm guessing was messing with the timing. Switching that made everything work as expected.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Argh!! Well you figured it out. That is a really subtle difference with using the wrong board. I'm actually surprised you got any text, but it works and I guess you scored a free panel out of it.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

mg, please post a photo of the m4 metro you are using

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

mikeysklar wrote:Argh!! Well you figured it out. That is a really subtle difference with using the wrong board. I'm actually surprised you got any text, but it works and I guess you scored a free panel out of it.

I actually feel really bad about the free panel and would happily pay for it if you can provide a way to do that. Really appreciate the help with this as well.

mgaruccio

Post by mgaruccio »

Pic of the board I'm using as requested.
Attachments
metro_m4.jpg
metro_m4.jpg (955 KiB) Viewed 39 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yep thats an airlift!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”