Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Snakeeyes Bonnet LCDs overheating?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Snakeeyes Bonnet LCDs overheating?

by shane1234 on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:07 pm

HI! I put together my Snakeeyes bonnet with the IPS LCDs a couple weeks ago. Everything works great, but once I mounted the LCDs to the glass lenses, they started going blank. The backlight stayed on, but the display went black. It came back on after a reboot, but went blank again after a few minutes. I tried swapping out with another LCD, but same issue. After removing the glass lens, they worked fine- for days at a time. I suspect the issue may have something to do with heat dispersion? Any suggestions on mounting the screens so the don't overheat? I am also going to give the OLEDs a try.
Thanks!
shane1234

Re: Snakeeyes Bonnet LCDs overheating?

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:51 am

The displays don't generate much heat, so overheating would be unusual. If it is the cause, you should be able to prevent it by making sure the back and sides of the board are exposed to moving air.

Another option would be pressure from the glass lenses putting strain on a marginal connection. See if you can reproduce the failure with pressure in the same places the lenses touch, but no enclosed space to trap heat.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.