Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Different NeoPixels Interface
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Different NeoPixels Interface

by ygwilliams1 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:24 am

I recently purchased a 5M real of the addressable RGB NeoPixels strip (Adafruit DotStar Digital LED Strip - Black 30 LED - Per Meter 5m - BLACK PID: 2237) and the interface is different from all the documentation I could find on the website. The pins on the input side of each LED cell include {VCC, CI, DI, GND}. The pins on the output side of each LED cell include {VCC, CO, DO, GND}. Here is a picture of a segment of the strip.

Please post a URL with the interface specifics. I usually don't mind experimenting to discover the meaning and drive levels for the interface but that could be costly if I make a mistake in this particular case. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
NeoPixelsInterfaceImage2.jpg
NeoPixelsInterfaceImage2.jpg (285.93 KiB) Viewed 19 times

ygwilliams1

Re: Different NeoPixels Interface

by westfw on Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 am

"dotstar" strips are NOT the same as "neopixel" strips. (unfortunately, it seems that "neopixel" has shared the fate of "Xerox", and now is used for any "smart" LEDs.)
See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dotstar-leds

westfw

Re: Different NeoPixels Interface

by ygwilliams1 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:08 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply posting. It seems I have to re-learn the lesson of reading the part name! I will go and investigate the DotStar. Thanks again for the help!

ygwilliams1

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.