Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wiring Video
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wiring Video

by soazmedic on Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Is there, or can someone make, a wiring video for the neopixel ring and a raspberry Pi3B+? I have never wired anything like this and a video guide would help me so much more than a printed info sheet. I just don't want to fry my Pi (LOL) and would love a tutorial video. I have the Adafruit NeoPixel Ring - 12 x 5050 RGB LED with Integrated Drivers. Thanks in advance!!

soazmedic

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wiring Video

by mikeysklar on Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:56 pm

Hello soazmedic,

With a Pi3B+ you only need to make a few connections. We do not have a video walk through for connecting up the NeoPixels, but we do have a support page with the details.

https://learn.adafruit.com/neopixels-on ... -pi-wiring

Using External Power Source Without Level Shifting

If you're going to be using more than a few pixels, it's a good idea to connect an external power source. Remember each pixel can draw up to 60mA so don't skimp on the power supply!

Remember, your NeoPixels may not work connected directly to the Raspberry Pi without a level shifter. If you run into issues, try adding a level shifter to your project.

Pi GND to NeoPixel GND
Pi GPIO18 to NeoPixel Din
Power supply ground to NeoPixel GND
Power supply 5V to NeoPixel 5V

The NeoPixel ring you are using will have the same named inputs as the strip shown in the image.

neopi.jpg
neopi.jpg (408.53 KiB) Viewed 18 times

mikeysklar

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Wiring Video

by soazmedic on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! I just didn’t want to fry anything! I’ll get to ordering my power supply!

soazmedic

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.