Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Wiring ESP32 to neopixel ring
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Wiring ESP32 to neopixel ring

by imstarboard on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 pm

The requirements for the neopixel ring don't mention that it can work with the Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board... will they work together directly or do I need a separate arduino (or other supported device) as well?

Also, can i plug the esp-32s board directly into my mac for power and for uploading code from the arduino ide, or do i need to buy a separate pwr supply and/or some kind of USB to serial adapter?

When I run this, can I power the ESP32 from a USB on the computer, and can I power a neopixel ring (12) from the ESP32?

Thanks.

imstarboard

Re: Wiring ESP32 to neopixel ring

by mikeysklar on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello imstarboard,

The NeoPixel ring works fine with Huzzah32. You only need three wires to connect it. We do not have a guide specific to the Huzzah32, but it is the same as the other examples in our NeoPixel uberguide aside for the NeoPixel DIN control pin from the Huzzah32. You can see an example on an outside site. Just note that a external 5v power supply might be a good idea for fully powering these. A level shifter chip is also frequently used in larger NeoPixel installs when running off a 3v GPIO.

https://leeluchowdaryravi.wordpress.com ... ngoose-os/

huzzah32.jpg
huzzah32.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 13 times

Increasingly, microcontrollers are running at 3.3 Volts instead of 5 Volts. That’s great news for efficiency, but can present a communication problem with 5V NeoPixels. The 3.3V signal from the microcontroller may not be “loud” enough to register with the higher-voltage device. The manufacturer recommends a minimum signal voltage of 70% of the NeoPixel voltage

The Espressif ESP32s can be used directly with the Arduino IDE without separate pwr/serial accessories. There is a known issue where a capacitor might be needed if you encounter communication problems.

https://github.com/espressif/esptool/issues/136

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.