Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

32x32 LED Matrix Dead Rows
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

32x32 LED Matrix Dead Rows

by HysteresisLoop on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:32 am

To preface, I have a 32x32 LED matrix I bought from adafruit that I believe either is broken or maybe my power supply isn't enough (in theory it should be).

I bought a 32x32 LED matrix back during Christmas and only got around to playing with it now: https://www.adafruit.com/product/607

To power it, I used a power supply of 5V and 2A found here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15664
I firmly soldered and heat shrunk the output wires for the power supply to the input wires for the LED matrix's power in. I taped off the 12V wire with electrical tape.

To set the LED matrix up,I followed the setup found here: https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x32-rgb-led-matrix

I quintuple checked the pins set up and even had a friend check for me, and they were correct. I tried two different arduino boards (a mega 2560 and an uno). However, only a select few strips on the panel will light up.

They will function as red and green, but red gets precedence over green (i.e. yellow will not be made if I try to put red and green at equal values in the arduino code). None of the LEDs turn blue at all. If I select only blue in the arduino code, none of the LEDs light up (this part is very confusing to me, why do red and green work only?).

The only possible explanation I can think is that either the LED matrix is broken or my power supply isn't providing the amperage needed. Attached is a picture of what it looks like when I try to use the example colorwheel32x32 built into adafruit's LED matrix library. The color is static and does not change. Only these rows are the ones that will light up.

Any ideas to either confirm the panel is broken or that the power supply isn't enough?

Cheers!
Attachments
LEDMatrix.png
Here is what the LED Matrix looks like running the colorwheel32x32 example by adafruit
LEDMatrix.png (391.37 KiB) Viewed 26 times

HysteresisLoop

Re: 32x32 LED Matrix Dead Rows

by dastels on Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:19 am

It could be power related. 6 rows of 32 (as shown lit in you photo) with just red could take almost 4 amps on it's own. Another possibility is wiring/connection problems. Check all connections for a secure fit or soldering as appropriate.

Dave

dastels

by HysteresisLoop on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:36 pm

dastels wrote:It could be power related. 6 rows of 32 (as shown lit in you photo) with just red could take almost 4 amps on it's own. Another possibility is wiring/connection problems. Check all connections for a secure fit or soldering as appropriate.

Dave

I ended up trying a power supply that can pull up to 8A. Only one extra row lit up, but there are colors now, as shown in the attached image, while the power supply was providing around 1.3A only. I noticed that it looks like there's a bridged soldering point on the chip labeled U3 by it. Should I just call it dead or try the soldering point? Again, any suggestions help. Attached are some images of the LED matrix and soldering point.
Attachments
soldering.png
soldering.png (401.19 KiB) Viewed 17 times
LEDMatrix2.png
LEDMatrix2.png (579.49 KiB) Viewed 17 times

HysteresisLoop

by dastels on Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:38 pm

It's hard to tell if that's by design or a soldering glitch. It's not working, so I'd say it's worth seeing if you can tease that short off. I'd use solder braid if you have some. Otherwise a well cleaned iron tip may pull it off.

Let me know.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.