Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

NeoPixel 12V Silicone Tube Voltage
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoPixel 12V Silicone Tube Voltage

by Robin31 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm

I purchased some of the flexible NeoPixel strips that run on 12V power, and I plan to run them from a 12V electrical system in an RV. From reading the documentation, it seems like the LEDs are fairly sensitive to overvoltage, and this system will run off a lithium iron phosphate battery bank with voltage up to 14.4V. Should I be adding a voltage regulator between the main power and the strip to ensure the voltage input is 12V, or will the LEDs tolerate the higher voltage?

Robin31

Re: NeoPixel 12V Silicone Tube Voltage

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:38 am

You do need to stay at 12V or lower. The pixels have some safety margin for short spikes above 12V, but a 14.4V supply would probably kill them.

It would be a good idea to run the power through a 12V regulator. We don't have anything for that specific voltage on a battery supply, but Pololu has a good selection:

https://www.pololu.com/category/131/ste ... regulators

adafruit_support_mike

Re: NeoPixel 12V Silicone Tube Voltage

by Robin31 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:42 pm

That's what I was thinking. I haven't used a voltage regulator before and it looks like I might have an issue with dropout voltage. Since my batteries are putting out between 12.5V and 14.4V, and the dropout voltage appears to be between 1 to 2 volts, I'd have issues driving a 12V regulator on this system. Can anyone advise me how to get around this? Do I need to step up the voltage to the regulator so it doesn't have dropout issues?

Robin31

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.