Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

LED FOR WRIST WATCH
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED FOR WRIST WATCH

by Blips on Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello, I design Jewelry and am looking to incorporate LEDs into a wrist watch. I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to even go about this as I am new to this world. I'm always open to suggestions and would love if someone has any advice on if something of this scale is even able to fit into the volume of a wrist watch.

I am also interested in incorporating a Digital LED clock into my designs. Any advice on the feasibility of this would also be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks
Brandon

Blips

Re: LED FOR WRIST WATCH

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:04 am

It's generally possible.. there are LEDs out there smaller than 1mm square. Wiring the connections could be a challenge, but a jeweler probably has the best set of existing tools and skills to handle the challenge.

One major design issue will be power. A single LED might use more than 1000x more power than a standard electrical watch. There's a simple electric device called an LED Throwie that uses an LED, a resistor, a CR2032 coin cell, and a magnet to create a throwable light source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_art#LED_throwies
https://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/

A throwie with a single LED can drain the coin cell in a day. If you add a resistor to limit the current, it might last about a week. Most watches can run for a few years on a smaller battery, so you have to make tradeoffs between the size of the battery and how much/often the LEDs are lit.

We used to have a watch kit called the TIMESQUARE that used an LED matrix and a microcontroller:

https://learn.adafruit.com/timesquare-watch-kit

The design files and construction tutorial show some of the decisions that went into the design.

adafruit_support_mike

by Blips on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am

Hey Mike, thanks for the response. I see, so the main issue is power. Let’s take the Apple Watch for example. How are they powering their technology?

I am also interested in putting one of your .56” segment clock displays in one of my designs. Would this also drain a cell battery quickly? Would the components to accompany the display even fit into a design of this scale (let’s take an Apple Watch as a visual)?

This excites me even just talking about it. I have been wanting to include some tech into my designs for a while now.

Thanks for the help.

Blips

by Blips on Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:44 am

Side note, I’m not married to any specific type of tech that can go into these designs. I just think it would be extremely cool to include some type of tech in general. If what I’ve mentioned isn't possible, I know this is vague, do you have anything that comes to mind that’s feasible and serves a function?

Blips

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.