Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

M4SK: Wont turn on
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

M4SK: Wont turn on

by jakel on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:37 pm

I have a brand new M4SK (came with adabox 13) that won't turn on:

- When I plug it in to usb for power, the chg (charge) led blinks once briefly (does not matter if the unit is off or on), the screens do not turn on, no other led activates.
- If I switch from off to on it blinks briefly again but screens do not turn on.
- With the battery attached the chg led remains on
- After charging the battery for about an hour if I remove usb power and toggle the power on or off nothing happens

Is there something wrong with the board or am I just missing something?

Thank You!

jakel

Re: M4SK: Wont turn on

by mikeysklar on Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi jakel,

It sounds like the power switch in the top right position might be in the off position. Please take a look:

mask.png
mask.png (395.3 KiB) Viewed 94 times

mikeysklar

by jakel on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:11 am

Thank you for your response. I don’t believe that is the problem as I have toggled the off and on switch. That has no effect.

jakel

by mikeysklar on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:40 pm

@jakel,

When the M4SK is plugged into your computer via USB DATA cable are you able to see a USB drive? If you double click the 'reset' button does a drive come up? I'd like to have you upload the UF2 bootloader if possible.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... bootloader

mikeysklar

by jakel on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:14 am

@mikeysklar

I tried a few cables. The board was not recognized by my computer. I don’t know how to tell the difference between data and non data cables. I did use a kindle cable which works fine for my kindle data but did not work with my MS4K. Thank you.

jakel

by mikeysklar on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:38 pm

The easiest way to tell if a cable is DATA is to do the test you have done. If it works with your Kindle for syncing then it is a DATA cable.

Any response from double pressing the 'reset' unit when plugged into USB? This should put you into bootloader mode.

Do you see a drive mount or any LEDs illuminate?

mikeysklar

by jakel on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:10 pm

@mikeysklar

I tried the reset button single click, double click, along with frustrated random clicking to no avail. It never registers as a drive on my computer while using a data cable.

- When I plug it in to usb for power, the chg (charge) led blinks once briefly (does not matter if the unit is off or on), the screens do not turn on, no other led activates.
- If I switch from off to on it blinks briefly again but screens do not turn on.
- With the battery attached the chg led remains on
- After charging the battery for about an hour if I remove usb power and toggle the power on or off nothing happens

jakel

by mikeysklar on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:22 pm

@jakel,

Let's get you a replacement. This behavior sounds more like a hardware / firmware issue than anything else. Since we cannot get a fresh bootloader on their in it's current state we can move on.

Please send an e-mail to support@adafruit.com requesting a replacement M4SK. Provide them with your order# and this forum thread link.

mikeysklar

by jakel on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Thank you.

jakel

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.