Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Martix portal m4 physically broken
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Martix portal m4 physically broken

by jimb137 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 pm

really like the matrix portal m4 (MPM4) and the 32x64 led matrices. I now have 5 MPM4s and several LED matrices (or is that matrixes?). I used three of each for Halloween (2 sets of monster eyes and one with ghost & skull). Halloween's gone, so its time to repurpose the H/W. As I was unpluging one of the MPM4s from its LED array I encountered a problem. The connector on the MPM4 self-demolished. (see photo)
MPM4_2.jpg
MPM4_2.jpg (872.98 KiB) Viewed 60 times

You can see part of the connector in the upper-right corner of the photo with one pin still embedded. Also a couple of pins are nearby.

I've been working with electronics since I was a kid (1958, to be exact) and this is one of the more catastrophic component failures I've seen... and all I did was attempt to unplug the MPM4 from the LED array.

I'd really like to get this "baddie" replaced wit a new MPM4 board so I can get back to "playing" with this technology.

jimb137

Re: Martix portal m4 physically broken

by dastels on Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Ugh. The quickest way to get back up & running is to remove the remaining pins and replace them with a 2 row female through hole header block if you have one on hand.

Let me know if you can do that.

Dave

dastels

by jimb137 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:50 pm

Sorry, but me soldering on a replacement part, even if I had one, is out of the question.

jimb137

by dastels on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Ok, please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one MatrixPortal M4.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.