Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Problems Using Matrix 8x8 White and associated libraries (GF
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Problems Using Matrix 8x8 White and associated libraries (GF

by melodyloveless on Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding using the 8x8 Matrix Square Pixel - White - KWM-R30881CWB-Y. I'm working on a project using an Arduino, the matrix mentioned above and the associated libraries, the GFX Library and Adafruit LED Backpack Library.
For reference, the client is still assembling the hardware so for this meeting, we were focusing on installing the libraries, uploading code to devices, and going over syntax.

I was able to install the libraries on my computer and upload the code for 8x8 Matrix example alright.
However, when I tried to do the same on my client's computer, we received this error:
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.05.33 PM.png
A screenshot of the Arduino IDE on my client's machine when trying to upload the example code "8x8"
Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.05.33 PM.png (105.08 KiB) Viewed 40 times

I then ran the standard "Blink" example for the Arduino on my client's machine. This example ran fine.

I then checked my client's computer and realized that it was quite old - a MacBook Pro from 2011 that's running OS X Mavericks.

First, if anyone could help me troubleshoot why this is happening, I'd appreciate it.
A general question though: How old/new does a computer have to be to run/operate Adafruit products?
(For reference, I recently had a similar issue with another computer regarding an old computer and Sparkfun sensors hardware/software. The client bought a new computer and was able to run the project fine after that. I'm wondering if there's something similar happening.)

Thanks for the help in advance

melodyloveless

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.