Help with Neopixel required equipment?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Help with Neopixel required equipment?

by LovePotion on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Thanks for the help DanGR, I actually placed my order. I'm going to try with the terminal blocks euro style!

LovePotion

by blnkjns on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 am

Why do people call that UV? It is within visible range: we can see from 380-780nm, and this is 390nm.

blnkjns

by LovePotion on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi, I've received my kit and started putting things together.
I have a few remaining questions:
- It says not to connect the neopixel to a live circuit, what does this mean? I'm planning on having everything hooked up and just plugging it into the wall. Would it be best to disconnect everything from the power screw block terminal, connect the ground then connect 5v to the terminal?
- There was info in the Uber guide about if you are powering the microcontroller and neopixel from power adapters to plug one in first - I think it was the neo pixel? But I can't find it.
- my ground connections are: two ground wires coming from the neopixel - one going to the power screw terminal and the other to the microcontroller. Is this correct? The image shows two ground wires coming from the power block, but I believe if they are all connected then it is the same?

LovePotion

by dastels on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:53 pm

First, that means don't connect the Neopixel to a system that is already powered and running. Have everythign wiredup and connected before turning on or connecting power.

Likely power the neopixel first, for the same reason as the first point.

These are the points on https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/best-practices:
- Avoid connecting NeoPixels to a live circuit. If you simply must, always connect ground first, then +5V, then data. Disconnect in the reverse order.
- If powering the pixels with a separate supply, apply power to the pixels before applying power to the microcontroller.

Your grounds sound just the way they should.

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.