Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Pimoroni HDMI 8 inch LPS Screen Kit displaying lines
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pimoroni HDMI 8 inch LPS Screen Kit displaying lines

by mkchard on Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:21 pm

Just got this a couple of days ago and Tried hooking it up based upon the pictures on the Adafruit website. Hooking it up to a raspberry Pi B. When I first turned on the power there were multiple vertical lines on the screen. So much so that I could not see part of the home screen. Later On I powered it up and the only thing I see is what is captured in the photo below.
Tested that the HDMI cable works with a regular monitor and then I get the same set of vertical Lines when i connect it to a laptop running windows 10. Connections don't see loose. As it is supposed to be plug and play I have to assume its defective, unless there is something else I'm missing. Note the protective layer of plastic is still covering the screen, hence the barcode

tttt.jpg
tttt.jpg (305.93 KiB) Viewed 85 times

mkchard

Re: Pimoroni HDMI 8 inch LPS Screen Kit displaying lines

by blnkjns on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 am

Is the Pi setup correctly? Does it output 0-255 level RGB HDMI, or limited colour YUV?
I have the same panel, and IMO the controller board is a really poor design. I already had 2 die, it is not the display itself, that one is pretty much OK. It runs OK now on a Surface Pro with HDMI adapter, and a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

blnkjns

by mkchard on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:46 pm

I'm sure it's not a configuration issue with the pi. I've tried connecting a laptop to it and all it get is a bunch of waving lines that soon settle down to a plain white screen. I've swapped out HDMI cables as well as Power supplies, but I still get nothing. I've also tried connecting different Pi's, nothing happening. Not sure what else I can do.

mkchard

by blnkjns on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 am

Ask for a replacement controller board.

blnkjns

by mikeysklar on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Contact Pimoroni. They have excellent support and can help with replacement on their products.

# forums
https://forums.pimoroni.com/

# discord
https://discord.gg/hr93ByC

# mail / form contact
support@pimoroni.com
https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/contact-us

mikeysklar

by mkchard on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:48 pm

So they would send me a working driver board, or are you suggesting they could help me? I've looked on the forum and there doesn't seem to be much happening for folks that are having problem with the display and/or the board. But I'll give it a shot

mkchard

by mikeysklar on Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:39 pm

In this case I would do both. Report your issue to the forums and e-mail their support about replacement with this issue. Please let us know what your experience is with them. They know their hardware.

mikeysklar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.