Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

EL wire (2xAA) inverter button disable
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

EL wire (2xAA) inverter button disable

by RazorAndy on Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi!

I purchased the 2xAA EL wire inverter (Product id: 317) and it worked just fine. I didn't read the description closely enough to realize there was a button control on the device. What I'm doing is replacing a similar device in a department 56 piece that uses EL wire to simulate neon lights.

What I would like to do is have the circuit default to the constant on function when power is applied since this inverter will be inside of the piece and not super accessible.

Is there a way to default the "on" state? I would be willing to sacrifice the blink and off states since this is pretty much in a fixed installation.

Thanks for any suggestions!
RazorAndy

Re: EL wire (2xAA) inverter button disable

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 pm

How are you applying power? That's also sort of the function of the button.

If you have options for the main power source, maybe something like this would work better?
https://www.adafruit.com/product/448

adafruit_support_carter

Re: EL wire (2xAA) inverter button disable

by RazorAndy on Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for replying! I was being a bit literal on replacing the EL wire inverter that was in place before and they had used a similar 2xAA device, so that is what I began searching for. To get the power to it, the wall wart provides 3.2-3.4VDC that I soldered a connection to the +/- internal battery pads. Not pretty but it worked.

I agree that just a plain inverter in line would have been a better solution! I was just trying to hold on to what was already working without having to re-work too much. I wondered if there was a spot that I could solder in a jumper wire to force the circuit to always be on.

That said, a plain in-line inverter is probably the best answer. Thanks again!
RazorAndy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.