Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

WS2812B won't shut off
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

WS2812B won't shut off

by cmdcomm1 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 am

Let me start by saying I am new to the Neopixel strips, as well as Raspberry Pi and Arduino. This is my first project. I have a 14x14 matrix of WS2812B strips. These strips are powered by a dedicated power supply. I am using the Glediator software on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to control the animation of the Neopixels. The Glediator software outputs serial data to an Arduino Nano that then converts it to the WS2812B protocol. The data then travels from pin 6 of the Arduino to the data input of the first strip. I can run the Glediator software but when I pause the animation or end the program, the lights stay frozen in their last state. I have run strandtest from the Arduino Examples and the same is true. The strandtest runs but if I close the Arduino IDE and/or unplug the Arduino, the lights hold whatever state they were in at the moment I terminated the Arduino IDE. I've got +5V and GND connections on every Neopixel strip and I'm using same GND for the Arduino. I have to completely unplug the power supply to get the lights to turn off. I'm not really sure why this is happening.

cmdcomm1

Re: WS2812B won't shut off

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:48 am

That is normal behavior. The WS2821B has no idea whether your program is running or not. It only knows the last command it received. it will retain that state until it receives the next command or loses power.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.