Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Side Light LED Strandtest
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Side Light LED Strandtest

by Greendav95 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:57 pm

Hello,

I have an LED project in mind but was unable to have the LEDs function when initially testing the side light neopixel strip. I have not had this issue before using other less and would like to confirm the potential that the strip may be faulty, or address other potential issues. Please let me know if other side light led strips are experiencing problems. My steps and consideration are as follows with the initial test connections shown.

- The adafruit_neopixel library was set up and the strandtest was verified then uploaded.
- LED_PIN was defined as 9 and the data line passes through a 470-ohm resistor on the breadboard. (Blue)
- Since I was intending to test the connection and operation, the LED count was 20.
- The common ground was connected first and it was set up prior to the circuit being live. (Black)
- 5V was confirmed as the output voltage of the Uno. (Orange)
- Continuity was confirmed between the board and the breadboard outputs.
- The intended project is on an Arduino Uno R3 and as tested using both the intended and the shown uno.

20210113_202524.jpg
20210113_202524.jpg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 27 times

I would appreciate any help, and or confirmation that the strip should be replaced. I do not have another neopixel strip available for a direct comparison.

Thank you,

Greendav95

Re: Side Light LED Strandtest

by blnkjns on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:35 am

Start with removal of the resistor first, it is not needed.

blnkjns

Re: Side Light LED Strandtest

by Greendav95 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:30 am

The resistor in the data line only helps to prevent spikes that were stated to potentially damage the strip. I figured for a test run to use the recommended practices. I wouldn't consider it mandatory but in this case, it doesn't hurt the situation. No change with or without the resistor.

Greendav95

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.