PiTFT+ 3.5" recognizes touch but displays only white
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiTFT+ 3.5" recognizes touch but displays only white

by Vacivity on Wed May 05, 2021 5:41 am

Hello.

I followed this guide for context:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... -install-2

I set up the display which appeared to have been recognized using the easy setup interactive version. Using the HDMI display I could verify that touching the screen moved the cursor around, but the screen itself only displayed white. This was using the mirror HDMI option. Would this be a driver problem or could it be something else?

Afterwards I tried uninstalling the system and checked that the touchscreen did not work, and at that point it did not. I installed the thing again and said no 2 times to get to the final frame buffer option, but it appeared to have had the exact same result. For some reason it mirrored the HDMI and worked the same as the previous option.

I have footage of me pressing the screen and having the cursor move around, but I am unsure if it is within the rules to link it if it would be necessary.

Vacivity

Re: PiTFT+ 3.5" recognizes touch but displays only white

by Vacivity on Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am

A bit of an update as the problem was solved.

After a bit of looking around, I've found the main problem of the white screen. The fix was to secure the ribbon cable on the back as apparently it had gone loose since I bought the screen. At first it still gave me the black screen so I uninstalled the PiTFT and then reinstalled it while set to the console selection and rebooted it. To my surprise, it worked. Afterwards while I was on the console I navigated to the folder with the installation typing it in manually (cant copy and paste when all you have is the console) and then launched the easy installation. First I uninstalled it and did not reboot afterwards, and then reinstalled the second option (replicate HDMI) and rebooted. The console wiped after some time and then it worked normally.

Though I'm not sure why it worked so odd at first, I guess it's personal mistakes that was the problem. Hope this helps if anybody has a similar problem.

To sum this experience up, ribbon cable was likely connected to the pins handing touchscreen input, but not for the pins handling image display. Afterwards there might have been some odd things in the software for the third screen option to work like the second option but selecting the second option as a reinstall was fine.

Vacivity

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.