Help choosing LED strip
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Help choosing LED strip

by GameOnYou on Sun May 09, 2021 11:23 pm

Hi,

I could use some help selecting the right strips for me. I am running strips around my entertainment room up near the ceiling. I currently have LPD 8806 strips (30/meter) along 2 of the sides (12 meters) and I have had a lot of fun with them over the years. I am doing some remodeling and the strips have to come down while painting is done. So I got thinking maybe it was a good time for an upgrade.

My plan is to go 360 degrees around the room. I would need 20 meters. I could just augment what I have and buy an additional 8 meters. Then again, the strips are getting a little old and I am a little hesitant to mix new with old. I also think my setup might look better with a higher density like 60 per meter.

I am wondering if the DotStars would be a better choice over the Neopixels? And both over the 8806?

Thanks for any thoughts.
GameOnYou

Re: Help choosing LED strip

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 10, 2021 5:59 am

Mixing new and old is probably not a good idea. LED output does decrease over time. So if the existing 8806 strips have a lot of run-time on them, new strips will probably be noticeably brighter.

For an application like that, any of the strips will work. Power requirements are pretty much the same. The 8806 and DotStars do need 2 pins rather than 1 to drive them. But unless your controller has a lot of other things to do, you are probably not constrained by pins.

One factor that might favor Neopixels over the others is the availability of RGBW pixels. The 4th white channel gives you a broader palette to work with - especially in the pastel colors. It also gives you a more natural white for general illumination.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.