Adalight for videotron

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
enunugraha

Adalight for videotron

Post by enunugraha »

Hello guys,

I have a project to make ambience light for big screen its around 8 meters width and 4 meters height LED screen, the Idea is to makes ambient light around that screen. basic ideas are the same as regular ambience light on TV or PC monitor such as use adalight device protocol, I use high power ws2811 for the light strip. one problem about that I can only connect 300 leds because limitation on Ambibox software, I see some of users have Ambibox version that support 400+ even 500+ leds that I can't find on the internet, I have send message to Ambibox team but have no reply yet, maybe there are users that have kind hearted want to share that ambibox version

thanks a lot

blnkjns

Re: Adalight for videotron

Post by blnkjns »

Do you need that many LED's for brightness or for length? Because you can use a bunch of Neopixel strings in parallel on the same data line. They will all display the same, but I guess 300 nuances around is more than enough.

enunugraha

Post by enunugraha »

blnkjns wrote:Do you need that many LED's for brightness or for length? Because you can use a bunch of Neopixel strings in parallel on the same data line. They will all display the same, but I guess 300 nuances around is more than enough.
I have no issue about the brightness since I use high power 1.5 watt RGB pixel, I need it to provide the length that in total it would be 24 meters and pitch between LED pixel is 7 centimeters so it will need around ~350 LEDs
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 1.09.19 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-28 at 1.09.19 PM.jpeg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 251 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The 300-odd pixel limit is based on the Arduino Uno's built-in RAM. If you use a board with a 32-bit microcontroller like the Metro M0, you'll have enough memory for thousands of pixels:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3505

enunugraha

Post by enunugraha »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The 300-odd pixel limit is based on the Arduino Uno's built-in RAM. If you use a board with a 32-bit microcontroller like the Metro M0, you'll have enough memory for thousands of pixels:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3505
hi mike,

btw I use teensy as controller, I think it should be ok about memory, but either uno or teensy max pixel on the ambibox still at 300, I'm not sure use of metro M0 would make max pixel on ambibox will be added to more than 300 pixel

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Teensy microcontrollers also have lots of RAM. You should be able to handle more than 300 pixels.

enunugraha

Post by enunugraha »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The Teensy microcontrollers also have lots of RAM. You should be able to handle more than 300 pixels.
yes but the software make it bottleneck, I see some user have ambibox that support more than 300 leds, have been looking for that version on internet but have no luck

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”