Sequencer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Sequencer

by Oakster on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:17 pm

I need to sequence 31 individual, short, pieces of el wire. For example, if all 31 pieces were lined up in a row, the first piece would come be illuminated and remain on for four thousandths of a second, go off, a pause for two thousandths of a second, the second piece would come on and remain on for four thousandths of a second, then go off and so on. When the last piece of el wire in the line had gone off, the first piece in the line would start over and the sequence would continue until the power would be cut off. This would be a 'chasing' sequence.

How can I do this? My thought is to use an Arduino board to program the specific timing of voltage output. The problem is that el wire requires an input AC voltange of @100 volts, at @2000hz.

Typical EL Wire Voltage Requirements: {110v AC, 60Hz} -- {TRANSFORMER} -- {12V DC} -- {INVERTER] -- [100V, AC, 2000HZ] -- [EL WIRE]

It would not be cost effective to have to provide 31 inverters, an inverter for each individual piece of el wire.

Any suggestions or has anyone out there sequenced more than the standard 8 el wires? Thank you.

Oakster

Re: Sequencer

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Sparkfun makes an EL sequencer: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12781

adafruit_support_bill

by Oakster on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:06 pm

adafruit_support_bill,

Thank you for responding. The sequencer you referenced appears to support a maximum of 8 el wires at a time. Do you know how I might be able to use Adafruit's sequencer to support 31 separate, individual wires?

Oakster

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:34 am

Adafruit does not make an EL sequencer. The Sparkfun sequencer linked above has a built-in Atmega 328 - the same processor used in the Arduino UNO. You could probably write code to link 4 of them together to control up to 32 channels.

It is a Sparkfun product, so they should be able to answer any technical questions you have.

adafruit_support_bill

by Oakster on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:20 am

Thank you, I will look into Sparkfun and their sequencing capability.

Oakster

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.