Adafruit RGB Matrix Hat

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
PaulBurns

Adafruit RGB Matrix Hat

Post by PaulBurns »

Hello Folks, I working on a LED project and Ive attached a Adafruit RGB Hat to a Ras Pi 3. It is powered by a 5 V supply for a 16 x 32 display. I followed the instructions on how to install it from your website.........but.........it appears only to produce Red and Green colours and there is no Blue, also the display is Gibberish. Ive looked at the overclock, slowing things down, re-installation and different power supplies with no luck, have you guys any suggestions? Thanks

blnkjns

Re: Adafruit RGB Matrix Hat

Post by blnkjns »

No blue is often an under-power issue. Are you sure it gets enough juice? I use these displays with a meanwell 5V 10A power brick, and you can easily use the cables that come with the display to connect these "industrial" power bricks directly. I never pass it through the hats/shields with the crappy barrel-jack solution.

PaulBurns

Post by PaulBurns »

Thanks for your helpful response. I think I got a clue following your suggestion. I disconnected the 5 V plug and noticed that the green HAT light was still on and the LEDS lit the same with no power supplied. Its my guess the socket on the HAT is not working, I tested a 4 x 1.5 V battery pack and again no change. So me thinks the problem is the HAT..............

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

What happens if you power the panel directly with the power cable it comes with?

PaulBurns

Post by PaulBurns »

Crappy LED display
Crappy LED display
lED HAT DISPLAY JPG.jpg (112.29 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Thanks, I did some more playing with the problem and I noticed when I unplugged the 5 V adaptor the LED still gave a weak display, also, I then unplugged the Red and Blck leads connecting to the back LED panel from the HATand noticed the LED panel was still giving the weak display. So it looks like theres no power comming from the adaptor...........which is really weird. I made a little JPG to show you, see attached,

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”