White LED Strip Lit in a Sequential Manner
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

White LED Strip Lit in a Sequential Manner

by kfree_3d on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello, Please excuse my ignorance here as I have very little experience with LED lighting.

I am working on designing some lighted sill plates for a custom vehicle. (Sill plate is the part you see when you open the car door and look down at the door jamb) I am looking to light the parts with white LED that lights up from front to rear in a sequential manner when triggered from a switch in the door jamb. In other words, looking to have the light appear to flow into the part to be lit as opposed to just having it light up entirely right off the bat.

The part is roughly 22" long and I believe 1 strip will be enough light to give it the glow I am after but 2 strips may be necessary - not sure yet.

I assume I need a strip of LEDs that is capable of this type of lighting and some type of controller to tell them what to do.

Is this easily achievable? What will I need to accomplish this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have attempted to attach a couple screenshots of the part I am working on for reference.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attachments
Sill Back Side.JPG
Back side of part (where I will be placing the strips
Sill Back Side.JPG (41.34 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Sill 1.JPG
Top side of part
Sill 1.JPG (80.69 KiB) Viewed 203 times

kfree_3d

Re: White LED Strip Lit in a Sequential Manner

by dastels on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:44 pm

Something like this may do the job.: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2433?length=1. It's available in 1, 2, 3, or 4 meter lengths. Each LED is fulliny and individually controllable so you can do any sort of effect/animation you like. As for controller, any reasonably capable microcontroller board will do. Since you won't need battery support, an ItsyBitsy M0 or M4 will work well (for C++ or CircuitPython, respectively).

This guide will introduce the basics: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dotstar-leds.

Dave

dastels

by kfree_3d on Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:53 pm

Hey dastels,

Thanks for the suggestion! Went with the itsybitsy M0 express and the RGBW neopixel strips. Hoping this combo will work together as well! Figured why not have the option for some color just in case.

Again, appreciate the advice. Now lets see if I can figure out how to program the controller!

kfree_3d

by dastels on Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:04 pm

That'll work great!

Have fun. With the project & the trip!

Dave

dastels

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.