Adafruit 0.56" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display - power usage?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit 0.56" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display - power usage?

by pmabs on Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi, I'm not finding this in the spec (sorry if I'm missing it) but how many amps does this want at 5v?
I'm using a bunch of them and want to make certain that it fits in the power profile of the project.
thank you!

pmabs

Re: Adafruit 0.56" 4-Digit 7-Segment Display - power usage?

by sj_remington on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 pm

The current draw depends on the number of segments lit and the brightness level you set.

It is best to experiment with one display and measure the current draw with your multimeter, under typical use conditions.

sj_remington

by pmabs on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Thanks for the guidance.

I understand that it depends on the number of segments and the brightness set but didn't know if there was a spec (maybe assuming max brightness and all segments lit) stating that it needs 5V at 1.2A or that for all segments at max brightness it only needs .5A.

So maybe taking a 5V, 5A power supply and having the display set for max brightness and all segments lit and then measuring the amp usage sounds like the best way to test it?

Thanks again for the advice!

pmabs

by sj_remington on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 pm

My notes suggest that the maximum current draw for that (or a similar) display is less than 100 mA at full brightness and showing all 8s. That corresponds to about 3 mA per segment, which is not unreasonable. But I have no more details, and the notes date back to 4 years ago. The product may have changed since.

I strongly suggest to get out that multimeter and let us know what you find.

sj_remington

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.