Adafruit Blue&White 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit combined with i2c RT

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hcgilje

Adafruit Blue&White 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit combined with i2c RT

Post by hcgilje »

I want to combine the Adafruit Blue&White 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit with an RTC, as I need the raspberry pi to keep track of time when not connected to a network for timestamping.
Adafruit have sevarl I2C based RTC, and according to the tutorial for the LCD shield it only uses
the two I2C pins on the Pi! The best part is you don't really lose those two pins either, since you can stick i2c-based sensors, RTCs, etc and have them share the I2C bus.
I am aware that you can share multiple device on I2C but I don´t really understand what is meant with "stick i2c-based...". There is no extra pins on the shield for SCL and SDA, so I don´t understand where I would "stick" the i2c RTC?

dastels

Re: Adafruit Blue&White 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit combined with i2

Post by dastels »

That just means you can wire other devices to the I2C signals. There's no builtin way to get at them, though. You could either solder to the top of the pins on the display hat, or use a stacking 2x13 header and plug into that.

If you are referring to this product https://www.adafruit.com/product/1115. be aware that it is designed for Pi 1 & 2 (i.e. with the 2x13 GPIO header).

Dave

hcgilje

Re: Adafruit Blue&White 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit combined with i2

Post by hcgilje »

dastels wrote:That just means you can wire other devices to the I2C signals. There's no builtin way to get at them, though. You could either solder to the top of the pins on the display hat, or use a stacking 2x13 header and plug into that.
I know, that´s what I realised. It would have been great if there were extra SDA/SCL pins on the LCD shield.
It will be really flimsy to solder the RTC on to the LCD shield, since I already have soldered the headers to the shield.
dastels wrote:
If you are referring to this product https://www.adafruit.com/product/1115. be aware that it is designed for Pi 1 & 2 (i.e. with the 2x13 GPIO header).
Actually I use it on my rpi4, that works fine, just need to be careful that the board doesn´t short circuit on the usb/ethernet connectors.

HC

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”