1.8" color TFT with SD breakout DARK

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brower

1.8" color TFT with SD breakout DARK

Post by brower »

pressing on the ribbon cable reveals image
pressing on the ribbon cable reveals image
pressedNotPressed.png (638.09 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Hi I have been having difficulty with this display (part no. 358). I bought 10 of them and have gotten same results with two so far- I don't want headers on my finished device so I stopped at two for testing. I run the usual graphics code and am sure its all wired up properly. When the screen was just dark I thought there was something wrong with the backlight. I put 3.3v to that without any change. Then I noticed there seemed to be an image but it was very dark, like dark brown on black. I thought maybe there was a speed issue- I thought I read about that somewhere, but then I thought it might be mechanical. I pressed down on the ribbon cable and the image got brighter. I pressed very hard on it and the image appeared in all its glory. I released the pressure and it all went dark again. I tried it with the second display and it is the same thing. The sandwich that makes up the display is not making good contact. What should I do with the remaining 8? Is there a fix I can apply to them? I have a video of what I'm describing but it is not small enough to upload. I'll do two photos- one with pressure and one without. Thanks for your time-

adafruit_support_carter

Re: 1.8" color TFT with SD breakout DARK

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I don't want headers on my finished device so I stopped at two for testing.
Were the headers soldered on these two?

brower

Post by brower »

Yes- I thought you could see that in the photos, but I just meant that I didn’t solder up a bunch to test because ultimately I don’t want the headers on the thing I’m building. I just do one or two for testing and I keep them on hand for experimenting with later.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you post a closer up photo of the soldering job on the header pins.

Weird issue. But seems most likely some kind of connection issue. Could even be the breadboard.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”