NeoPixel FeatherWing doesn't seem to chain out

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flounder

NeoPixel FeatherWing doesn't seem to chain out

Post by flounder »

I am using the NeoPixel FeatherWing, and have hooked its DO to the input of the 144-NeoPixel strip. But in running tests, I get garbage. I am currently feeding the power to the Feather via the USB cable, and the 10A is connected to the NeoPixel strip as per the Uberguide (1000mF and 470 ohm resistor), but when I try to create a spectrum red-to-violet across the 144 LEDs, I get just nonsense. The ground level is shared between the 10A supply and the GND on the Feather M0 that I am using. The documentation suggests that DO will be compatible with a 5V NeoPixel strip, but should I put a level-shifter in? The first few NeoPixels, on the FeatherWing, are absolutely correct, but the output to the remainder of the chain seems wedged.

I can supply photos if needed.

dastels

Re: NeoPixel FeatherWing doesn't seem to chain out

Post by dastels »

If you are powering the strip with 5v, then you should be feeding it a 5v signal for it to work reliably (or at all).

If the Feather (and wing) is getting powered via USB then the Neopixels on the wing are being powered with 5v (there's a level shifter driving them) so the Dout signal should be fine for the external pixels.

Double check all connection, especially ground.

Dave

flounder

Post by flounder »

The Feather is being powered with 5V from the USB cable. DOut is connected to the Din of the NeoPixel strip. The strip itself is powered by 5V from a 5V 10A supply, and the ground lines are shared.

dastels

Post by dastels »

From what you describe, it should work unless there are some bad connections. But I'd rule that out if you get any reaction from the strip.

What is the product number of the strip?

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”