Neopixel with FadeCandy : still worth buying ?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mouha

Neopixel with FadeCandy : still worth buying ?

Post by mouha »

I'm working with a collegue for a profesionnal project . We are on the way to create a demo. for a connected object (Poc) with some RGBW neopixel strips driven by the FadeCandy board.
But as I was looking in the Github depository https://github.com/scanlime/fadecandy/b ... /README.md. I have found it updated with a disturbing message:

STOP DOING FADECANDY

As we want to invest time, money and fund rising I'd like to know what it's going to be with FC ?

dastels

Re: Neopixel with FadeCandy : still worth buying ?

Post by dastels »

That's interesting! I'm assuming they had a bad day or bad trip or something bad. Maybe the account got hacked? There are a lot of forks, and I suggest you make your own (and clone it locally) to protect against the repo disappearing.

I'd say it's a wait and see situation. But make your own fork/copy to protect against a worst case scenario.

Dave

mouha

Post by mouha »

dastels wrote:That's interesting! I'm assuming they had a bad day or bad trip or something bad. Maybe the account got hacked? There are a lot of forks, and I suggest you make your own (and clone it locally) to protect against the repo disappearing.

I'd say it's a wait and see situation. But make your own fork/copy to protect against a worst case scenario.

Dave
@Dave thanks for your feedback.
I understand that Github allows anyone to fork the code of a repository. However,my concern is more about the status of the FadeCandy project in its globality. There is a normal confusion : I've should have write down the question with more precision. So:
as the pcb are available from the repo if for any reason Scanlime stops this, is there a possibility that Adafruit (or a partner) keep the production going on ?

dastels

Post by dastels »

There's definitely the possibility, since there are many people using FadeCandy, that someone would step in and take over. FadeCandy is just the software for driving NeoPixels and similar devices. It is completely separate from the NeoPixels and controller boards.

Dave

mouha

Post by mouha »

dastels wrote:There's definitely the possibility, since there are many people using FadeCandy, that someone would step in and take over. FadeCandy is just the software for driving NeoPixels and similar devices. It is completely separate from the NeoPixels and controller boards.

Dave
Sure Dave I'm aware that Scanlime did a private project to drive Neopixels.
I'm even thinking using something else than the FadeCandy - indeed, the FadeCandy is still limited to 64 pixels- but didn't found out anything that could be a viable (ie: fast enough) interface between Processing https://processing.org/ and the Neopixels.
Any idea ?

adafruit_support

Post by adafruit_support »

hi folks,

How it's made - Ladyada and Micah Scott manufacturing Fadecandy at Adafruit
https://youtu.be/UvWWITJn5UU

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1689

"This collaboration between Adafruit & Micah from Scanlime, we are excited to introduce Fadecandy, a NeoPixel driver with built in dithering, that can be controlled over USB. For every FadeCandy sold Micah from Scanlime is paid, support Micah's work!"

we've emailed micah multiple times, no reply - we do not know the status of the project any longer.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”