Socket to me? RGB NeoPixel button product ID 1612.

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AlanMusicMan

Socket to me? RGB NeoPixel button product ID 1612.

Post by AlanMusicMan »

This is regards RGB NeoPixel button product ID 1612.

Does anyone know if somebody has developed a socket for these? I'm looking for a secure socket so they can be used in a "shine-down" application - but be easily swapped out if they fail.

I'd hate to go off and design something if it already exists.

Who else could use such a thing?

Thanks in advance
Alan T

Disciple

Re: Socket to me? RGB NeoPixel button product ID 1612.

Post by Disciple »

I'm a customer with a range of NeoPixel purchases, and I've never encountered such a device. It's an intriguing idea that would probably involve notching the PCB buttons and ridging the sockets to ensure proper contact alignment.
What I don't know is how well standardized the dimensions of the buttons might be. The ones I've bought are pretty uniform, but the photos on the product page show that there's more than just one design out there. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@AlanMusicMan,

There are a few NeoPixel button 3D print designs.

https://www.stlfinder.com/3dmodels/?sea ... xel+Button

AlanMusicMan

Post by AlanMusicMan »

mikeysklar wrote:@AlanMusicMan,

There are a few NeoPixel button 3D print designs.

https://www.stlfinder.com/3dmodels/?sea ... xel+Button
Thanks, I'll look through those.

AlanMusicMan

Post by AlanMusicMan »

Disciple wrote:I'm a customer with a range of NeoPixel purchases, and I've never encountered such a device. It's an intriguing idea that would probably involve notching the PCB buttons and ridging the sockets to ensure proper contact alignment.
What I don't know is how well standardized the dimensions of the buttons might be. The ones I've bought are pretty uniform, but the photos on the product page show that there's more than just one design out there. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple
Good point, it would be a shame to go to all the trouble of designing a holder only to find that the dimensions have been changed by 3mm! If Ada was at all interested in this idea and intended provide one themselves (which would be the ideal) thus providing uniformity of product and assured availability for some time to come, then I'm sure they'd sell large quantities - but hey ho.

Might be better to look for Ws2812B in a more industry standard format like a standard LED package. There is the PL9823 which comes in such a package, and that works with all code written for WS2812b and you can use it with various kinds of sockets. Perhaps I'll go down that route to make my life easier. Shame, cos the NeoPixel board looks nicer ;-) but here we are.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”