Dotstar 5050 led to match my strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ashbygeek

Dotstar 5050 led to match my strip

Post by ashbygeek »

I bought several dotstar led strips so that I could cut them into pieces and solder those pieces into shapes. I also bought a pack of spare LEDs so that if I accidentally destroyed an LED I could just replace it.

Unfortunately, the strips I got are a different color ordering from the spares that I bought. So I have two questions:
  • Where can I purchase compatible LEDs with a specific color order?
  • Why doesn't Adafruit consolidate down to a single color spec for their LEDs? It would make life quite a bit simpler for your customers.

adafruit2

Re: Dotstar 5050 led to match my strip

Post by adafruit2 »

what are the exact pid's you purchased, and the differing color order? that will help figure out whats up

ashbygeek

Post by ashbygeek »

The led strips are ID:2241; the individual LEDs are ID:2343, all purchased within the last month.

I'm pretty sure the led strips are rgb ordering, don't have my code handy at the moment to check. When I have a moment to check I'll post again. I haven't confirmed the actual color order of the individuals, but after the fact I noticed that the website specifically says the individuals are currently bgr.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

our code defaults to DOTSTAR_BRG and these LEDs are DOTSTAR_BGR - that's just what is available right now. we dont have other LEDs.
you could cut/re-solder the LED strip to excise bad pixels if you like

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”