NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 2.0" Diagonal

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
benpru

NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 2.0" Diagonal

Post by benpru »

I bought 4 units of this TFT display on 29.9.2021, since then I had to wait for other parts to arrive before I could try to test them.
I've connected 2 displays to 2 cameras individually and i do get a clear picture on both, now here's the issue,
When ever i turn on the displays one of the display is way more bright then the other, i've noticed that when i press the button that flips the image the brightness issue disappear and both displays show the same brightness picture, how ever when i turn off the power the flip settings and brightness doesn't save and the issue show again.

How can this issue be fixed?
Button that flips the image and solve the brightness issue
Button that flips the image and solve the brightness issue
Image 2021-10-27 at 14.27.17.jpeg (117.73 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Left display is way more bright then the right one
Left display is way more bright then the right one
Image 2021-10-24 at 18.56.34.jpeg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 387 times

mikeysklar

Re: NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 2.0" Diagonal

Post by mikeysklar »

Interesting looking goggles application.

What voltage are you powering the displays at? The two solutions I've come across on these screens are:

1) ribbon cable needs reseating

2) voltage needs to be a regulated ~9v

It's good to know the button with 5 level of brightness adjustment is a work around. I suppose you could always breakout access to the button if nothing else worked, but ribbon and voltage should be explored first.

neiloler

Post by neiloler »

That looks like a very familiar project, as I'm building the single monocular version there of.

I was under the impression due to the specs provided on the Adafruit product page that 12v was okay to power?

I'm powering this with a regulated 11.5V.

Does this account for why I burned this thing out?

See: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=184455

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@neiloler - I like the monocle idea. The displays are rated for 6 - 12v. If the regulator was getting hot with 11.5v that might be a sign of needing more heat sink capacity or running at a lower voltage to keep things optimal. I had come across a post while looking for @benpru's brightness issue and came across the 9v regulated voltage suggestion for smoothing out brightness.

@benpru - I believe there is a dual LED and single LED form of this display. Can you confirm which ones you have? This post might help illustrate. My thought is that you might have two different types.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=184699&p=896173&hi ... sc#p896173

benpru

Post by benpru »

mikeysklar wrote:Interesting looking goggles application.

What voltage are you powering the displays at? The two solutions I've come across on these screens are:

1) ribbon cable needs reseating

2) voltage needs to be a regulated ~9v

It's good to know the button with 5 level of brightness adjustment is a work around. I suppose you could always breakout access to the button if nothing else worked, but ribbon and voltage should be explored first.
The issue is that when I power on the unit the color is different, when I press the button that flips the screen then the color is normal, not the brightness button.
I've tried using 7.4V and the results are the same, so I doubt that the issue is voltage regulator, i will try to install a different display, maybe I got a faulty one....

benpru

Post by benpru »

i've checked 2 more displays, 3 out of 4 displays are working perfectly.
The one display i made this post about is 100% defective, how do i get a replacement?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@benpru,

It looks like you opened the forum discussion within the 30-day warrany window so please contact [email protected] requesting a replacement for the one display that is an issue. They will need a link to this forum thread and your order#.

neiloler

Post by neiloler »

Did you get your project up and running? I got a new screen, and now I find that it works, but I can't get the image flip settings to stick, the reset upon power cycle.

Is this normal with this controller board for the screen?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”