64X64 3mm RGB LED Matrix + RGB Matrix Bonnet + Raspberry Pi

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tward212

64X64 3mm RGB LED Matrix + RGB Matrix Bonnet + Raspberry Pi

Post by tward212 »

Hello,

I've been trying to get my LED display set up to work. I'm using the following equipment from a recent order:

64x64 RGB LED Matrix - 3mm Pitch - 192mm x 192mm PID: 4732
Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet for Raspberry Pi PID: 3211
5V 10A switching power supply PID: 658
Raspberry Pi 4 (not purchased from Adafruit)

The issue seems to be with displaying a coherent image. I run the demos available under the rpi-rgi-led-matrix (https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix) directories, but all of them display images like the ones that I've attached to this post.

I've been troubleshooting from the github and post here and nothing seems to be working (i.e., checking the power, disabling sound, GUI, etc.).

I was hoping I could get some tips or possible causes to help me out.

Thanks!
Attachments
LED appearance after putting in demo command
LED appearance after putting in demo command
20211108_180610.jpg (192.04 KiB) Viewed 596 times
LED appearance at rest
LED appearance at rest
20211108_180511.jpg (112.91 KiB) Viewed 596 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: 64X64 3mm RGB LED Matrix + RGB Matrix Bonnet + Raspberry

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Two quick things to check/try:

For a 64x64 matrix, make sure to solder the jumper on the Bonnet as described here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... -1745226-8

For a Pi 4, try adding some --led-slowdown-gpio:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... 2982010-30
For Raspberry Pi 3 use a slowdown of 1 to start (use higher values if image still flickers). For Raspberry Pi 4, use a slowdown of 4. Older Pi models might work with 0, try it.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

Hey, thanks for mentioning both of those. Forgot to mention that I've taken both actions already and I'm receiving the same result as mentioned.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's check basic connections. Can you post another photo showing the backside of the RGB matrix with all the cables connected.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

Yep, here you go:
Attachments
Raspberry Pi 4 w/ connections
Raspberry Pi 4 w/ connections
20211108_204402.jpg (171.47 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Back of Panel
Back of Panel
20211108_204357.jpg (161.17 KiB) Viewed 591 times

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, let's check basic connections. Can you post another photo showing the backside of the RGB matrix with all the cables connected.
Hey Carter, I also noticed that the LED matrix does not light up on boot. Rather, I only get an image when I unplug/plugin the power cable connection (the white connection). This is the only way I'm able to get an output on the matrix, so I think there may be an issue with the matrix itself.

adafruit_support_carter

thanks for the photos. That all looks OK.

How are you running things at boot? The matrix won't show anything unless something outputs to the matrix. Running the command line examples is the best way to sanity check the general setup.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

Yep, so I'm running the examples available here: https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led- ... es-api-use. Or at least attempting to run them, but typically I don't get any response from the matrix upon executing a demo in the command line.

The only way I've gotten output from the matrix is by unplugging the power connected to the matrix (i.e., the red/black wire) and then as I plug it back in the matrix lights up, but in an abnormal way like in the pictures.

I've tried a number of the parameters available on the github repository, as well as a number of troubleshooting solutions in the forums over there and none seem to make any difference.

Also, if I do get output from the matrix, the colors are often random. As in, it will sometimes show the colors in the pictures, but sometimes show red or some other colors.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, let's check hardware again. Can you post a photo of the solder job on the E jumper:
https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/63007

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, let's check hardware again. Can you post a photo of the solder job on the E jumper:
https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/63007
Yep, here you go:
Attachments
Solder on E jumper
Solder on E jumper
20211110_162654.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 559 times

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. Can you do another more at an angle. It's the generally wetting of the solder blob on to the pads that's important to check. The blob itself looks plenty big enough.

Also - what was the exact full command line you were using for running the example demo? Should double check potential software things also.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Thanks. Can you do another more at an angle. It's the generally wetting of the solder blob on to the pads that's important to check. The blob itself looks plenty big enough.

Also - what was the exact full command line you were using for running the example demo? Should double check potential software things also.
Sure, the photo is attached.

For the command line:

Some examples are:

sudo ./demo -D0 --led-rows=64 --led-cols=64 --led-slowdown-gpio=4

sudo ./demo -D0 --led-rows=64 --led-cols=64 --led-slowdown-gpio=4 --led-gpio-mapping=adafruit-hat

sudo ./demo -D 0 --led-rows=64 --led-cols=64 --led-no-hardware-pulse --led-gpio-mapping=adafruit-hat --led-row-addr-type=1 --led-panel-type=FM6126A --led-slowdown-gpio=4

and just playing with different variations of all of that.

Also, I set dtparam=audio=off in the config file.
Attachments
20211110_222209.jpg
20211110_222209.jpg (113.47 KiB) Viewed 552 times

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Thanks. Can you do another more at an angle. It's the generally wetting of the solder blob on to the pads that's important to check. The blob itself looks plenty big enough.

Hey Carter,

I also recently bought a Raspberry PI Zero WH and plugged it into this setup to replace the pi 4 - in case that was the issue. I'm seeing the exact same issues on the Zero that I was seeing on the pi 4. So my only guess is something is up with the Bonnet or the Matrix itself.

adafruit_support_carter

Really weird one. Thanks for all the troubleshooting. Let's do this - let's replace both the Bonnet and the matrix. At this point, there's really no way of knowing if it's the Bonnet or the matrix. And we'd really like to know. So by having a second copy of both, we can find out.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacements for:
  • 64x64 RGB LED Matrix - 3mm Pitch - 192mm x 192mm PID: 4732
  • Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet for Raspberry Pi PID: 3211
When you get the replacements, respond back here and we'll continue with troubleshooting. Maybe add some markings to the current hardware so the original and replacements can be tracked. Thanks again for working with us so far on this.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Really weird one. Thanks for all the troubleshooting. Let's do this - let's replace both the Bonnet and the matrix. At this point, there's really no way of knowing if it's the Bonnet or the matrix. And we'd really like to know. So by having a second copy of both, we can find out.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacements for:
  • 64x64 RGB LED Matrix - 3mm Pitch - 192mm x 192mm PID: 4732
  • Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet for Raspberry Pi PID: 3211
When you get the replacements, respond back here and we'll continue with troubleshooting. Maybe add some markings to the current hardware so the original and replacements can be tracked. Thanks again for working with us so far on this.

Sounds good, I'll let you know when I've received the new matrix/bonnet.

Also, thanks for all the help so far!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”