64X64 3mm RGB LED Matrix + RGB Matrix Bonnet + Raspberry Pi

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tward212

Re: 64X64 3mm RGB LED Matrix + RGB Matrix Bonnet + Raspberry

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Really weird one. Thanks for all the troubleshooting. Let's do this - let's replace both the Bonnet and the matrix. At this point, there's really no way of knowing if it's the Bonnet or the matrix. And we'd really like to know. So by having a second copy of both, we can find out.

Send an email to [email protected] with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacements for:
  • 64x64 RGB LED Matrix - 3mm Pitch - 192mm x 192mm PID: 4732
  • Adafruit RGB Matrix Bonnet for Raspberry Pi PID: 3211
When you get the replacements, respond back here and we'll continue with troubleshooting. Maybe add some markings to the current hardware so the original and replacements can be tracked. Thanks again for working with us so far on this.

Hey Carter,

I recently received the replacement matrix and bonnet y'all sent over (thanks again by the way). I set everything up again, and it looks like the issue was definitely with the bonnet.

But, now I'm getting an issue on both matrices: basically there is a big blank spot in any image that I've displayed. Also, the image looks slightly off center.

I've been running a number of different parameters in the command line and I'm completely stumped at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(The image attached was while the demo was in motion, so ignore the weird black spots in the areas with lit leds - those are just from the frame rate. It's really the big blank space in the middle that's giving me grief.)
Attachments
Rotating image w/ weird black space in the middle
Rotating image w/ weird black space in the middle
20211119_150305.jpg (195.29 KiB) Viewed 651 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you get any combo of hardware to work? How do you know it was the bonnet?

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Can you get any combo of hardware to work? How do you know it was the bonnet?

This is the best result I've gotten so far to work. I get these results with the new bonnet + old matrix and new matrix.

Tried with the old bonnet + new matrix and new wires and same issues from earlier, which led me to think it was an issue with the bonnet itself.

I figure now there is something in the settings or overall setup that I'm missing, because it's executing the demos, there just not showing up completely. (where as before there was just random output)

adafruit_support_carter

Just to be sure - have you marked the original hardware in some way? The matrix, ribbon cable, and bonnet?

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Just to be sure - have you marked the original hardware in some way? The matrix, ribbon cable, and bonnet?

Yep, marked all the old stuff and segregated so I wouldn't confuse the two.

The only thing I think it could be is that I need to solder a jumper wire between GPIO 4 and 18? I've found some sources say that helps, but I've got no clue how to do that exactly.

adafruit_support_carter

What is the history of the Pi being used? Is it new? Or was it used in other projects?

Do you have access to another Pi?

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:What is the history of the Pi being used? Is it new? Or was it used in other projects?

Do you have access to another Pi?
Yep, brand new. Bought it from Adafruit.

I started this project on another Pi (Pi 4), switched it over to a Pi Zero WH. No matter what Pi it's on I encounter the same issues.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, so just to be sure - you have two copies of the same RGB matrix hardware (matrix + bonnet) and have multiple Pi's. Attempts with all possible combinations results in the same thing?

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, so just to be sure - you have two copies of the same RGB matrix hardware (matrix + bonnet) and have multiple Pi's. Attempts with all possible combinations results in the same thing?
Yes, and to clarify: with the most recent Matrix + Bonnet you sent me I am able to get the demos running. There is just a weird blank, black space in the middle, whereas before it wasn't running at all/showing random messed up lights.

So, that's what makes me think there's just something in the setup we're missing, not necessarily an issue with the hardware.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, so not working, but also not exactly the same general behavior.

Can you correlate the behavior (black space in middle) to specific hardware? Like if you swap just RGB panels, does it stay or move with panel? Same for ribbon cable, etc.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:OK, so not working, but also not exactly the same general behavior.

Can you correlate the behavior (black space in middle) to specific hardware? Like if you swap just RGB panels, does it stay or move with panel? Same for ribbon cable, etc.
This occurs regardless of hardware change out.

Doing some research on the github I've found similar issues related to the 64X64 matrices. It seems to have something to do with the "address line" specifically adding an "E-Line" (which I think is what was done with the soldering, but not 100% sure). There is also the recommendation I mentioned earlier - soldering a jumper wire between GPIO 4 and 18, but again I've got no clue how to do that exactly.

Here's where I got the above info: https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led- ... -hatbonnet

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led- ... issues/864

Here's a Adafruit guide that recommends the 4 - 18 jumper: https://learn.adafruit.com/motion-contr ... k/assembly

adafruit_support_carter

The solder jumper is there to take care of the address line concerns. You should be OK with that since you've made the solder.

The jumpering of GPIO 4 to GPIO 18 is needed if you chose the "quality" option when running the install script:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... ep-2995409
If you chose "convenience", it should not be needed.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:The solder jumper is there to take care of the address line concerns. You should be OK with that since you've made the solder.

The jumpering of GPIO 4 to GPIO 18 is needed if you chose the "quality" option when running the install script:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... ep-2995409
If you chose "convenience", it should not be needed.
Hmm, then I'm not sure what I should do.

My issue is exactly the same as the those seen in this forum post: https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led- ... -518940167.

By entering --led-multiplexing=1 I am able to get the image more to the center (i.e., not off to the side), but the blank space is still there.

So, I think the matrix, bonnet, and pi are all working, there is just something else I'm missing in the overall configuration.

adafruit_support_carter

Can you try starting completely over? All the way from a fresh OS install on an SD card. Then run through all the setup again and see if the issue repeats.

The fact that it's not working on two sets of hardware does seem to indicate something software. But at this point, the current state of all the software items is potentially suspect.

tward212

Post by tward212 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Can you try starting completely over? All the way from a fresh OS install on an SD card. Then run through all the setup again and see if the issue repeats.

The fact that it's not working on two sets of hardware does seem to indicate something software. But at this point, the current state of all the software items is potentially suspect.

Yep, so I did the following:
  • Reinstalled Raspbian-lite OS onto the the pi Zero WH.
    Soldered a jumper wire between GPIO 4 and 18
    Installed hzeller rpi-rgb-led-matrix + adafruit bonnet install w/ quality option selected
    Rechecked all connections
Issue (i.e., blank rows) still persists.

There is a noticeable improvement in the apperance of the leds, it just these blank rows that have me stumped.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”