1933 7" Display Powers Up With Red Screen

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bknelson

1933 7" Display Powers Up With Red Screen

Post by bknelson »

IMG_1677 (3).JPG
IMG_1677 (3).JPG (600.86 KiB) Viewed 386 times
IMG_1675 (2).JPG
IMG_1675 (2).JPG (668 KiB) Viewed 386 times
IMG_1673 (2).JPG
IMG_1673 (2).JPG (387.82 KiB) Viewed 386 times

- Product ID: 1933
- Distributor PO: ECV9900101677 (Purchased Aug 10, 2020)

We have approximately 125 screens on hand. Of this quantity, 35 are powering up with a red screen or similar type of a failure. The displays that are working as intended power on with blue screen and allows the operator to select the correct video input. The screens that power up red are unresponsive.

We experienced this problem with the 1933 screens in the past. After engaging Adafruit support, it was determined that the boards were not programmed. We received a programmer from Adafruit and were able to program the boards which resolved the issue.

Unfortunately using the same programmer and firmware that was provided previously does not resolve the issue this time around. When powered on the display on the programmer shows Adafruit but never progresses any further. Photos are attached.

mikeysklar

Re: 1933 7" Display Powers Up With Red Screen

Post by mikeysklar »

I can have engineering contact you about this.

Were any instructions sent last time about using the programmer. I just wanted to confirm there was no order of operations or something additional connection that might be necessary to make the programming process work.

bknelson

Post by bknelson »

That would be great. There were some basic instructions provided at the time, although the process was pretty straightforward.

The programmer was connected to the PCB via the connector which contains the SDA and CLK pinouts.

Power was applied to the PCB for the display panel, then the programmer. Once the programmer was powered on, the Adafruit logo was displayed for a few seconds. The output of the display then changes to display some statistics about the firmware (name, size, etc).

At this point the programmer would be ready for operation. Once the button on the programmer PCB was pressed the process would begin fetching code and took about 20 -30 seconds per board to complete.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, thank you for the summary of your programming setup. I'll point engineering at this thread.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

oh i remember this. is there anything on the serial output?

bknelson

Post by bknelson »

There is no output on the display of the programmer. The only activity we see on the programmer is the Adafruit logo displayed. For the display/PCB, the only observed activity is the screen powering on red.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we mean from a serial terminal program - it should show up as a COM port, with data that tells you whats up

bknelson

Post by bknelson »

To clarify, you are stating I should be able to capture the serial output of the programmer by connecting to a PC via USB cable and using the assigned com port? What baud rate setting is needed to view the serial messages?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yes! thats exactly right. the baud rate doesnt matter (its 'native usb') so just put in 115200 (9600 is fine too if 115k isnt available)
dont worry we'll figure this out :) just have to remind myself what code is on there

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”