RGB Matrix problems...

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
trobey

RGB Matrix problems...

Post by trobey »

rgb3.jpg
rgb3.jpg (210.76 KiB) Viewed 477 times
RGB2.jpg
RGB2.jpg (157.24 KiB) Viewed 477 times
RGB.jpg
RGB.jpg (281.28 KiB) Viewed 477 times
I'm trying to use a 32x64 RGB matrix with the Adafruit Shield and testshapes_32x64 library on an (Elegoo) MEGA2560. I've tried a number of things including of course changing the #define for the CLK to use 11. This is the best I've come up with after a few hours of playing around. Can anyone give me some tips please?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: RGB Matrix problems...

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

For use on a MEGA, other wiring is needed. There's a note on this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x32- ... rix-shield
The shield does not directly work with the Arduino Mega — additional jumper wires are needed to pins off the shield — see the “Jumper Wires” page for pinouts, or consider making your own Mega proto shield for that board.

trobey

Post by trobey »

Ahhh, thanks so much, I didn't realize that I needed special wires for the MEGA... So instead I just grabbed an UNO and the display came right up. But it seems to have a gap while running your 'scrolltext' example. Any idea what could be causing that?
rgb4.jpg
rgb4.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 438 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

That's likely a memory issue. UNO's have a relatively small amount of memory, which limits maximum matrix size:
https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x32- ... -3073477-4
Arduino Uno (or compatible ATmega328P boards) — limited to 32x16 matrix, no double-buffering (needed for flicker-free animation)

trobey

Post by trobey »

Ok thanks again...

I think I would like to try using an Arduino DUE. I read elsewhere that the DUE's 3.3V outputs can still drive the RGB matrix without level conversion. So...

Could you please provide the connections for using a DUE along with your SHIELD (or I suppose using the MEGA would be the same). I'm sorry, I tried to find clear info on the connection changes from your guide to support the MEGA but had no luck. Do you mean that your shield cannot be used at all with a MEGA or DUE (I could only find complete wiring diagrams and was looking for adaptions to still use your shield)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”